Polarity

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still not happening after following diagrams. I am getting 0.24 ohms between the Earth and SL then nothing whatsoever happens when I switch the 2 switches below. starting to get on my nerves now TBH. 

I have defiantly done the wiring correct. Took the N CPC & L to the ceiling rose, copied the diagrams from the ceiling rose to both sockets. To test continuity I have placed the line in to the earth bar yet still nothing. 

Are you switching 1 switch, then retesting, or switching both and retesting?

Hum, if you test, then flick both switches, you go from connected to connected.

Try it again, but just flick 1 switch then test again

Right here goes.. When I then tested again I got 0.20 ohms whilst pinning on to the Earth and SL I then switched the switches and nothing but it seem to work if I press the switch off and press the test button again I get 19.99 then when I press the switch again and press test it goes to 0.20 and again press the switch then press test back to 19.99.

On this video he doesnt press the test button again.  

Last edited by a moderator:
You are not testing at the loop through connection are you?
I suspect (s)he is.

32 minutes ago, Mastbruch said:

Right here goes.. When I then tested again I got 0.20 ohms whilst pinning on to the Earth and SL I then switched the switches and nothing but it seem to work if I press the switch off and press the test button again I get 19.99 then when I press the switch again and press test it goes to 0.20 and again press the switch then press test back to 19.99.

On this video he doesnt press the test button again.  

What brand of test equipment are you using?

OK.

Lets go back to basics

OP - Have you got a long piece of twin and earth? 

If you have, at one end strip the L and connect to the CPC using a wago or similar - then take the R2 reading between the L and CPC at the other end - note this reading down

Then remove the wago and redo the test - note down the reading

Then you will know what the "open" circuit reading is of the MFT - I suspect its 19.99

Hope fully this will help

OK.

Lets go back to basics

OP - Have you got a long piece of twin and earth? 

If you have, at one end strip the L and connect to the CPC using a wago or similar - then take the R2 reading between the L and CPC at the other end - note this reading down

Then remove the wago and redo the test - note down the reading

Then you will know what the "open" circuit reading is of the MFT - I suspect its 19.99

Hope fully this will help
Thanks fellas.

Yes Murdoch I have a long piece of T&E I will do this ASAP

Hi Murdoch just done as you said mate. With the Wago at one end I got a reading of 0.21 then I tested it without the Wago and got a reading on 19.99

Hi Murdoch just done as you said mate. With the Wago at one end I got a reading of 0.21 then I tested it without the Wago and got a reading on 19.99

Excellent

So now when you test you know that 19.99 is open circuit (no continuity)

So I would now retest the circuit at the light fitting and see what happens - remember only change 1 switch position then test, then the other and test....

It sounds as if you have got the results working correctly.

If you are testing and want the reading to update automatically without pressing test you have to pres the handsfree button beforehand so that handsfree is shown on the display (and press again once you have finished testing to stop the automatic measurement)

That may be why you have to press the test button again but the video did not.

Just to note the 0.21 was probably ohms and the 19.99 was probably kohms, always useful to be aware of the units in which you are measuring.

We cannot tell you about the wizardry, because I am sure I heard somewhere that you are not a magician but an electrician. :coat