Powering A Garage

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmm, I didn't honestly think of that part as an issue. Just assumed the security company who sent the sparky knew what they were doing. What circuit breaker are these systems usually on??? This has got a back up power unit, control panel, 4 sensors, 3 window sensors and smoke detector. 

Should each shower have its own or both together?. I assume separate.

The showers were a later addition I'm guessing the person who did those. Simply had a loss of brain cells adding them on the ring. I am pretty sure I can get to those cables with relative amount of ease. So getting a new CU and separating them is annoying but not impossible. What Amp circuit should the showers be on?

Umm also what should the Amp be for the security. Sensory and smoke detectors. As they were a much much later addition and done by a full board sparky?!?!

From what I can guess so far the cost of new CU, sorting out showers, garage and mess. May in fact be less costly than saying strip it and re-wire

Ive looked around at costing for a full rewrire and I'm a little surprised at how low it was to what I thought... for a 3 bed semi, detached garage what price range do you guys think is the mean average. As I have seen job quotes and published advisors giving from 2-4K.

Im an apprenticed carpenter and very happy to do masonry and plaster, so don't mind the chasing damage. However some walls/floors are tiled and wouldn't want that level of expense.... couldn't afford it or the time unfortunately.

Wayne
I wouldn't be wanting a £2k rewire, :|

Here in the NW a 3 bed semi with separate garage would be around the £3&1/2 - 4k depending on spec. 

Sounds like somebody bought a pre-populated CU with a random selection of MCB, which almost always have an excessive amount of 32A MCB's.  Then the "security" company just connected onto a 'spare' MCB in the fuse box that happened to be 32A. The manufactures instructions for electric shows have stated a dedicated circuit (probably including RCD), is required for many, many years now. I would suggest it wise to get a full inspection and test undertaken of the current installation, to verify exactly what is connected to what. It is not uncommon for fuse box descriptions to be different to what is actually physically connected. For an average domestic property a full inspection would typically be somewhere between half a day to a full day depending upon quantity and accessibility of accessories and how neat the fuse box wiring is. Probably somewhere between £150 to £250 depending upon actual duration and local labour rates. With this information you would then have a better idea of what remedial work is actually needed.

Doc H.

What Amp circuit should the showers be on?

Well I think we're getting a bit too far into designing an installation that none of us has seen and someone else will be working on, so none of us need to know what size the shower MCB will be. It would depend on a few factors, but 32A would seem to be most likely.

From what I can guess so far the cost of new CU, sorting out showers, garage and mess. May in fact be less costly than saying strip it and re-wire

Maybe. Who knows, as I have said, without looking at the job we don't know. I don't know why you keep googling random stuff on the internet and assuming it applies to you. You need to get some electricians round for quotes.

Ive looked around at costing for a full rewrire and I'm a little surprised at how low it was to what I thought... for a 3 bed semi, detached garage what price range do you guys think is the mean average. As I have seen job quotes and published advisors giving from 2-4K.

2k is cheap for round your way. But you are still buggering about on the internet with vague ideas and guides. You need to get an electrician round to look at the job, not google rewire prices and then try to get someone else to design the installation.

3, Security Alarm / Sensors / Smoke Detector on a 32A... This is quite possibly the worst bit.

Who knows, might be fine. I had a 32A circuit doing outside lights and external power etc. It was simply a piece of 6mm² run through several switched spurs. May be nothing wrong as such with the breaker. Again, someone actually needs to look at the job as this is all speculation.

I think the OP needs to get a proper EICR conducted but a local competent spark before he contemplates getting any changes made to the install...

and whats a "full board sparky"? (post #19)

I think the OP needs to get a proper EICR conducted but a local competent spark before he contemplates getting any changes made to the install...

and whats a "full board sparky"? (post #19)
A day spent 'PAT' testing.  :B  

Latest posts