Presence Switching

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

says-les

Reaction score
I am having trouble getting the Thea Microwave sensor to calibrate properly for movement of a human walking below it. It is loosely fitted inside a 5ft twin led batten, corrosive type by Ansell.

The leds are fitted to a steel tray inside the luminaire and when up in a single garage rafters near the up and over steel door the sensors are not triggering with body movement.
When The garage door is opened the sensor triggers.
An identical luminaire in the workshop sitting vertically on the floor works perfectly but only when the luminaire is pointing away from you.
It seems to me that the metal tray may be blocking the MW energy when pointing downwards from the rafters (10ft high).

The three adjustments have been tried in all sorts of permutations but still not triggering the way it does with the identical one on the floor standing vertically and pointing away from the user.

In other words it sees through the back of the luminaire which is plastic.

Manufacturer says it should work but when I pointed out that there was no installation paperwork with the sensors and the fact that the box it comes in describes the sensor as wall mounted?

The guy at the other end of the phone call to the manufacturer said it is designed to be fitted inside conduit which didn't seem to me to be sensible and that he was not with it.

Has any one fitted this sensor ZN 29185 - wht?

It is slightly bigger than a match box all round.

At first I thought it would be convenient and simple to be sited inside the light but to adjust it the diffuser and tray has to be opened.

Should I install it in a plastic box bushed into the plastic base of the light?

Microwave sensors can "see" through solid objects including plastic, glass and brick walls, the one thing they can not see through is metal, so yes, mount it in a plastic box. Microwave sensors are also generally more sensitive if you walk towards or away from them, so try not to mount the box where will people will walk in parallel with it.