Problem with RCD on lighting circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fox

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have changed a C/U and have a problem with the lighting circuits. Basilcally the landing area light has a live fed from the downstairs lighting circuit but takes its neutral from the upstairs lighting circuit. This is a problem for me to comply with 314.1 as I need to put them both on the same RCD (dual RCD board fitted). I am going to use this job for my surveilance visit for my scam membership as have also wired the extension and a couple of other jobs but am a bit concerend about not complying with the above reg. What do you guys reccomend - a note on cert? Or is rewiring that light the only alternative - bit impractical though.

Any advice welcome.

Thanks

That is the case of the BORROWED NEUTRAL I'm afraid...

If you want you can put them on the same MCB...

same RCD, different MCBs is just dangerous (and if your assesor finds it you will fail)

Or as you say the best option is to rewire that light and strapper

Two options........ rewire it if someone is paying you to do it , if not put them on the same circuit , note it , so your assessor can see you have spotted it, don't worry about it theres thousands of them like it .

Or as you say the best option is to rewire that light and strapper
If they will pay or the work otherwise as Noz says, same mcb.

Not sure I'd even note it. Once you put them on the same MCB they are the same circuit as this is what the wiring dictates. You are then arranging the circuits that you have at the CU to minimise inconvenience, not rewiring the house to minimise inconvenience, so nothing to note IMO.

Concure with the esteemed colleagues above...

remember

If there is one neutral that is getting its live from two different MCB, you have got to put them onto the same MCB!

If the circuit can be easily split, make it into two completely independent circuits then. as that is also good..

But if it is dam near impossible to split existing wiring layout then it has got to be ONE circuit for the lights for now!!!!

;) :|