Pulling the main fuse

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see in this months edition of the Electrical Safety mag ( forgot the name), the commitee that has been deliberating on whether to grant permission for contractors to remove and re-seal main fuses has decided against it and to leave things as they are. I think they said it was EDL who were against it . ( There is an EDL is'nt there?)

Anyway its been kicked into touch so we are left with the present, pathetically stupid situation of waiting forever for someone to turn up and yank a fuse out for you.

I'm just looking at a job at a vets surgery ( not Apache's) of removing six C/U's , two redundant meters, a right mess of meter tails and fitting one fuseboard. Have to be done on a Sunday, 2 phase supply, who thinks the DNO will come and pull the fuses in the morning and back in , late afternoon.

Deke,

Arrange for the DNO to come in a couple of days before & fit a local isolator.

In my area for a domestic

You know, it's really amazing, but I've yet to connect up a CU at any property where the main fuse and meter were sealed.

It's the world gone mad again. Do these people really believe for a moment that an Electrician qualified and assessed as competant, is incapable of pulling a fuse holder from its carrier safely and then replacing it afterwards? IMO it's red tape for the sake of it.

I see in this months edition of the Electrical Safety mag ( forgot the name), the commitee that has been deliberating on whether to grant permission for contractors to remove and re-seal main fuses has decided against it and to leave things as they are. I think they said it was EDL who were against it . ( There is an EDL is'nt there?) Anyway its been kicked into touch so we are left with the present, pathetically stupid situation of waiting forever for someone to turn up and yank a fuse out for you.

I'm just looking at a job at a vets surgery ( not Apache's) of removing six C/U's , two redundant meters, a right mess of meter tails and fitting one fuseboard. Have to be done on a Sunday, 2 phase supply, who thinks the DNO will come and pull the fuses in the morning and back in , late afternoon.
Oh of course they will Mr Deke...............................

do you have no Faith????????????? :pray :pray:pray:pray:pray

I shall just put the above comments into context.......

One of my favorite lines from literature is from one of the Beatrix Potter books.. The story of Jemima Puddle Duck..

(after reading it to the kids many times..)

I quote:-

"Jemima Puddle Duck was a simpleton"

AKA..

Believe anything trust everyone.. all will work out well

YES????????????????????? ?:| ? :| ]:) headbang :p

:coat

Have to be done on a Sunday, 2 phase supply, who thinks the DNO will come and pull the fuses in the morning and back in , late afternoon.
you may be surprised...

done an emergency board change bit over a year ago. DNO had already isolated and were still on site re-newing service to building as i arrived. they finished their bit and left. once i finished work, called them back at 1am good friday, and they came straight back to replace fuse

you could always phone first thing on the morning, say youve been called out and found severe damage and you have had to remove fuse to safely repair fault, and get them later to re-seal?

Pull the fuse every time. DNO can never prove who pulled it. 75% of properties I go to don't have a sealed fuse anyway in the first instance.

What do you do when you go to a property with no sealed fuse ??????

Work safely - **c* the red tape.

I remember many years ago I was at a friends flat, and his alcoholic neighbour had his stereo on, on repeat, on full volume, late at night.

Much hammering on the door achieved nothing.

My friend eventually went into the neighbours meter cupboard, and pulled the main fuse.

Silence. We went back into the flat but almost immediately heard a door open, footsteps, the meter cupboard being opened and the music start again.

This time my friend went out, pulled the main fuse and flung it out the window into the darkness. The silence lasted all night, and the problem was never repeated...

Pull the fuse every time. DNO can never prove who pulled it. 75% of properties I go to don't have a sealed fuse anyway in the first instance. What do you do when you go to a property with no sealed fuse ??????

Work safely - **c* the red tape.
Why would I want to suck the red tape ? Anyway it should be brown now. ;)

i asked my assessor this week about this problem.......

He just looked at me and drank his :coffee

I was discussing this with my assessor yesterday....

All he would say is that you should arrange with DNO for disconnection of supply... he never said anything when I replied that I'd personally cut the seals and get on with the job safely!

Latest posts