Puts us to shame!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharpend

"It Just Is"
Reaction score
just reading BBC sport website and article regarding F1 Chinese Grand Prix and realised just how rubbish this country is: 

“In Wuhan, the epicentre of the virus, 11 large public venues including sports arenas are being turned into makeshift hospitals to provide an additional 10,000 beds for the sick. Two new hospitals have been built there since the outbreak started.” 

in how many weeks!!!!

Quite.

in the UK it’s going to have taken over 30 years and over £2 billion to make a 2.5 mile bypass for Stonehenge ....

a billion pounds per mile ...

Quite.

in the UK it’s going to have taken over 30 years and over £2 billion to make a 2.5 mile bypass for Stonehenge ....

a billion pounds per mile ...
I believe that’s the figure our governments works with as a starting point take the millennium dome followed by HS2 for recent examples. 

Someone posted on another forum, that the Swiss built a railway under a solid stone mountain for many tens of kilometers, for less £ per mile than we are going to spend on a new above ground line.

How do they get it all together? 

Pre-fab buildings must be,  "in stock", somewhere:   then a quick phone call "Can I have 10,000 hospital beds please", not to mention the medical and ancillary staff to run them, medicines, equipment of all sorts.

Mind boggling really. 

I like to think the UK can pull out the stops when it really matters, but this appears to be on another scale.

Then again, according to some reports the Chinese government is embarrassed that it didn't respond sooner and faster, so is it all for real?   

Someone posted on another forum, that the Swiss built a railway under a solid stone mountain for many tens of kilometers, for less £ per mile than we are going to spend on a new above ground line.
For some reason I always imagine when there is a giant project announced  .....palms begin to crossed ....favours begin to be called in ......    plain   brown envelopes are passed  or promised .......  share options are  discussed &  taken up ...etc etc .  .   

For most of the 1960s  a certain building company grew & grew  and seemed to be building every major project in this city .     Even to a certain naive apprentice of this parish it seemed strange .         So strange that when a different  sign  appeared  on the massive refurb of New Street Station  people pointed  saying  " 'ooo are they ?"  

Eventually it all came out  that the  certain building firm  had the certain  Chief Architect of a certain city  in their pocket.     

Latest posts