PV inverter issue since new smart meter installed

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laxton_Himself

Reaction score
Hi all, first post on the forum, looking for some help.

I’ve had a solar PV and battery setup for around 15 months now. I’ve just had a new smart meter installed by Octopus Energy today, and since the electric has been back on, my inverter shows that the house is using the same wattage as what’s being generated, despite nothing being on. If I try to use more than is being generated, it also doesn’t discharge any of the battery either (see picture).

I’m not sure if this is anything to do with the new meter as the excess power should be being exported, but it’s showing as zero. My new smart meter seems to suggest that electricity is being exported, and that I’m not being charged for importing from the grid, but I’m worried that somethings been changed. I’ve done about 3 resets now where everything’s been switched off but it’s still happening. Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Thanks so much for this. I think I can see the problem, the clamp isn’t attached to anything (see picture). So I’m guessing he took it off then didn’t put it back on? I’ve also taken a picture of the bottom of the inverter where the CT connects.

Attachments

• IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1
Cracked it. I’ve clipped the CT clamp round the live wire to the meter and straight away it kicked in and the battery started discharging to match the demand from the house. Thanks a lot 👍🏻

(1) Welcome to the forum...
(2) Nice work....
(3) You are now officially MORE competent than the majority of the "meter monkey brigade"..
Who are only trained up to replace meters... But forget, or don't understand, they need to ensure the WHOLE installation is still working correctly following their visit as it was before they swapped anything!!
(4) How difficult is it to replace any bits you remove during your work????????????? ☹️