Question as I think Im Right But Want To Make Sure

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mort2376

The devil's in the details, or the dodgy wiring !
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Carrying out an Eicr.

Oil tank is in garden and boiler is located at the rear of the property.

The oil pipe does not appear to enter the property as it looks like its underground from the tank to the boiler.

I don't think the oil pipe has to be bonded as it does not enter the property.

Thoughts, corrections and abuse welcome.

Sounds right to me, but boilers tend to be metal these days, avoiding cross bonding pipes like we used to do, so if pipes from boiler are copper, it may well be introducing an earth potential, albeit not the supply pipe itself. Might be worth a quick continuity test between oil pipe, and boiler/ pipes into house.

I checked with my schemes technical guys and they said "No", but with a but ! Lol

As the boiler will have a cpc that will introduce an earth into it.

As I'm replacing the CU I'm going to bond the flow and return as a belt and braces approach. The incoming water is plastic so even that doesn't technically need one.

We go from green and yellow cables everywhere (15th edition) to not needed if x y and z apply (18th edition)

I checked with my schemes technical guys and they said "No", but with a but ! Lol

As the boiler will have a cpc that will introduce an earth into it.

As I'm replacing the CU I'm going to bond the flow and return as a belt and braces approach. The incoming water is plastic so even that doesn't technically need one.

We go from green and yellow cables everywhere (15th edition) to not needed if x y and z apply (18th edition)
Chances are the oil pipe goes straight into the back of the boiler, and all internal pipework is metal/ copper so is introducing an earth, albeit indirectly to the oil supply pipe itself. So I would bond it, personally even if the regs don't really cover this scenario.