Rccb

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elephant

Reaction score
So please clarify this as was reading something on RCCB's that confused me!

As I understand, an RCCB (im thinking of a 32Amp Hager here) is basically the same as an RCBO? i.e. combined RCD and MCB , with the older style hager being a two module one?

Also for this type,(excuse my laziness to check the regs) does this come under the same table for max permittable Zs in the onsite guide as rcbo, mcb or are there different valuses for an RCCB?

thanks guys,

Not the same Elephant,  theres no overload protection with an RCCD   or RCD .  I come across a lot of electricians who think because an RCD is marked up    , say,  32A/ 30mA     it gives overload protection at 32A , no it doesn't,  the 32A is merely the rating of the device.    

RCBO is a combined  MCB/RCD

The rest of your question does not apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not the same Elephant,  theres no overload protection with an RCCD   or RCD .  I come across a lot of electricians who think because an RCD is marked up    , say,  32A/ 30mA     it gives overload protection at 32A , no it doesn't,  the 32A is merely the rating of the device.    

RCBO is a combined  MCB/RCD

The rest of your question does not apply.
The title is RCCB not RCCD although I would need to double check and its too early

Edit, yep you are still correct (typo ?) An RCCB does not have any overload protection. (Well it is early and am looking here as I cant sleep)

The title is RCCB not RCCD although I would need to double check and its too early

Edit, yep you are still correct (typo ?) An RCCB does not have any overload protection. (Well it is early and am looking here as I cant sleep)
Brain malfunction slippery ......getting my arseyD's  mixed up with my ArseyB's  

thanks for replies guys!  Bit scary that thought it did have over current protection, but more scary that unless wasn't paying attention at the time, was at a job where there were a few socket circuits on RCCB's (hence with no over current protection then!)

Bit scary that you are doing installs when you have zero knowledge too. Be up on a manslaughter charge when/if something goes wrong.....

If you are not sure, ASK but BEFORE you do the job, not after!!!

john...

nah not doing installs but just noticed it when was at a job where there were  tradesmen there too but forgot to ask at the time.

Latest posts