RCD not switching off

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanmsn

Reaction score
Hi New to this forum and need some help

My CU is fitted with an RCD which trips every few weeks for no apparent reason. I usually reset it and off we go again till the next time. Last night I thought it had tripped as some of the downstairs lights and sockets went out but upstairs were still on. When I checked, the RCD switch had not gone to off as it usually did. When I switched it off, reset the button and switched it on again everything went back to normal. Any suggestions please.

It clearly trips for a reason and that could be an intermittant fault which produces a high leakage current

Without a picture of the consumer unit and it's RCD / MCB's it is difficult to give any comment as to why some circuits had power and some didn't

Could be more than one fault there. Something that occasionally trips the RCD and a separate fault which you saw last night. That could be as simple as a loose connection in the consumer unit which you fixed by disturbing it.

I agree with the advice to get it checked. Intermittent faults have a habit of becoming permanent failures on Christmas Eve

Hi New to this forum and need some help

My CU is fitted with an RCD which trips every few weeks for no apparent reason. I usually reset it and off we go again till the next time.

Have you not considered that these symptoms could be an indication of one, or several, more serious problems??

There are various tests on the integrity of electrical circuits that can be carried out..
There are various tests on the functionality of the RCD that can be carried out...

However these tests do require a competent person with some industry standard test equipment to verify RCD operating times, operating currents, and circuit insulation resistance etc..

MCB's and RCD's and RCBO's do not normally trip, (disconnect the power), on any healthy installation.. If your RCD is operating frequently this suggests that you have something that needs attending to, so that it is not frequently operating.

My gut feeling is that you need some professional help to try and establish the cause of the actual problem!

Possibly there maybe someone on the forum who is local to you able to do some formal testing.. What is the first part of your post code?

Frequently resetting RCD's is a sign something is not right.

Locked to prevent being resurrected (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.