RCD problem

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about that but it was the only way I could post pictures from my phone 

Is it possible someone can screenshot?

You've probably already guessed I'm a complete luddite 

I think I've changed the Facebook settings 

OK, I can see your photos. I t does seem a devious way to do the job though. You only need to re-size the resolution to post directly on here.

Points from viewing your pictures:-

Have you removed a cover to provide that view of the alternator windings?  Is it really dry in there?   Hopefully it's normally fully enclosed and sealed (?).

You say it can trip with no plug in the outlet, right? 

To operate the RCD as a "fault detected",  that can only be an electrical current  leakage in the blue output socket. So, again, is it dry? It only takes a little condensation on the plastic surfaces to create a fault.  Silicone spray or WD40 could be useful here and at least would do no harm.

It has already been suggested that you remove the output wires from the RCD.    Has it ever tripped, in this condition, with no wires connected?

If it does STILL trip, with no output wires connected, then I suggest the problem may be vibration. Normal domestic electrical accessories are NOT designed to be bolted to diesel engines. 

To answer Geoff, yes I removed a cover to expose the windings and yes it is completely dry onside. 

The 16amp RCD shown on Facebook is the unit that was on the generator when I got it. It worked for well over a year before I had any problems. 

I haven't been able to test what happens with the output wires disconnected because it has run without cutting out since it was suggested. Typically 

Noz.. the tape is from the middle of December when it was first suggested that it could be damp getting in.

I will keep you updated on the test with no output wires on the next time it fails.

Thanks again all. M

WRS 16/2

16amp 300mA

Wylex 

Unable to post pics on here, my phone takes too larger mp.

No way to reduce on Samsung a40. I googled it, my phones too basic

I'm pretty certain it's not the RCD. I'm on my third!

Ok, then, assuming the thing does not trip with NOTHING, not even just an extension lead or other cable plugged into it, then you have DEFINITELY got EITHER something that IS connected to it with an insulation fault between "live" and earth. OR [because of the way the thing is wired] is placed on the ground and has a fault between earth and neutral...

To help you visualise this, imagine the current flowing down the "live" from the generator to whatever is being powered, across the neutral/earth fault, into the ground the piece of equipment being powered is standing on, through the ground back to the generator frame, where it "gets back" to the neutral terminal by means of flowing through the generator frame and the earth wire connected to it, to the neutral cable [which is connected to the earth cable] on the generator side of the RCD, thus BYPASSING the RCD, and PING!! instant trip..

What you need then is to do some insulation testing.. You will need some form of insulation tester. Perhaps something like this?? [It is cheap!!] https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGGER-INSULATION-CONTINUITY-ELECTRICAL-TESTER-TEST-METER-IN-LEATHER-CARRY-CASE/164019371978?hash=item263050ffca:g:vuMAAOSwUOJeEhTd

I have got a test metre that I use to assess the battery status. Will this work if I put it to 240ac?

The generator is still working fine 'at the moment '. M

I have got a test metre that I use to assess the battery status. Will this work if I put it to 240ac?

The generator is still working fine 'at the moment '. M

No, you need a proper insulation tester, that can apply 500V to the bits you want to test and measure how the insulation stands up [or otherwise] to this voltage. You also need to know how to use it mind, or you could damage stuff you are testing, but i am sure we could explain what to do to you..

john..

I'll see what I can do. Living off grid is great, no electric Bill's,water from a spring etc, downside is no postal address for buying online.

I heard some sellers will send to argos

I own 7 acres of woodland,  I live here in a small dwelling I built from the trees. My water comes from a spring, for 9 months of the year my solar panels are sufficient for my power needs unless I run the washing machine. The generator is used for this and topping up my batteries via an inverter/charger when the panels fall short at this time of year. I have a compost loo,chickens and a woman who is as nuts as I am.

Yes but do you have planning permission for you house built from the trees?  If you do, you will have to pay council tax, and will be allocated or able to choose an address.

No address and council tax suggests you have no planning permission, so unless you have "got away" with it for a number of years, you could be forced out of your home at any time.

I own 7 acres of woodland,  I live here in a small dwelling I built from the trees. My water comes from a spring, for 9 months of the year my solar panels are sufficient for my power needs unless I run the washing machine. The generator is used for this and topping up my batteries via an inverter/charger when the panels fall short at this time of year. I have a compost loo,chickens and a woman who is as nuts as I am.

Sounds great to me!! I know where i could lay my hands on 10 acres of woods.. Would have to do a part ex with my proper house though.. Very very tempting...

Yes but do you have planning permission for you house built from the trees?  If you do, you will have to pay council tax, and will be allocated or able to choose an address.

No address and council tax suggests you have no planning permission, so unless you have "got away" with it for a number of years, you could be forced out of your home at any time.

Hmm, absolutely correct.. I know a bloke that converted what he claimed to be a farm building to a dwelling. The council could not prove otherwise, so had to give him a cerificate of lawfulness. They also, as part of the deal, made him pay all the council tax going back all them years..

Still, good luck to you??

john..

Latest posts