RCD Question

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
brown book now were on 18th edition amendment 2...

Is an RCD a legal requirement?

If you have a new circuit installed, or a circuit is substantially modified, you may be required to have an RCD fitted under the Building Regulations (Part P) or BS7671 wiring regulations. This is a legal requirement.

Link removed as it's free advertising.

Last edited by a moderator:
brown book now were on 18th edition amendment 2...

Is an RCD a legal requirement?

If you have a new circuit installed, or a circuit is substantially modified, you may be required to have an RCD fitted under the Building Regulations (Part P) or BS7671 wiring regulations. This is a legal requirement.

Link removed as it's free advertising.

Utter tosh

Part p has absolutely no bearing over the use and installation of RCDs

Last edited by a moderator:
Utter tosh

Part p has absolutely no bearing over the use and installation of RCDs
In the case of the Part P Approved Document it says that works should comply with BS7671 - note that this document is non-statutory in England - however it does carry a lot of weight. And following the BS7671 makes sense. So reality is that it does have bearing.

In the case of the Part P Approved Document it says that works should comply with BS7671 - note that this document is non-statutory in England - however it does carry a lot of weight. And following the BS7671 makes sense. So reality is that it does have bearing.

Yes, work should comply with BS 7671 but blanket use of RCDs isn’t stated anywhere in that

And it’s not a legal requirement either
Ok define legal, and define the electrical regulations.. which are actually not regulations... if you want to go down the route of regulations and such in this country then be prepared for a bumpy ride, its not all black and white.. but guidance is there, and when it comes down to it the man in the curly wig might have something to say about it....

Ok define legal, and define the electrical regulations.. which are actually not regulations... if you want to go down the route of regulations and such in this country then be prepared for a bumpy ride, its not all black and white.. but guidance is there, and when it comes down to it the man in the curly wig might have something to say about it....

Yawn

We all know that the electrical regs aren’t statutory and as for Part P - how many actual prosecutions have happened? Very few

Belated response I know....

I agree BorisJ......531.3.2 "the following shall be considered: etc etc" I cannot find anywhere that states dual RCDs in a consumer unit are not compliant or that RCBOs are the only solution.
In this regard to the OP, One RCD is not ideal but perfectly okay to add a socket with the right cable size values for the 32a protective device.
Eg 2.5mm2 cable size for 32a ring or radial circuit (1x socket only) or 4mm2+ for 32A radial.

BTW Scoob Murdoch ?... I'm learning everyday, I thought it was a scooby snack order.😂

Erm.....??????? :oops:

It is not uncommon to find nit-picking, petty argumentative posts on social media forums such as this... :rolleyes:

And I would never dare to cast derogatory comments re any other members...

But I think, if you had got a copy of your current regs book to hand...
I would hazard a guess that numbers such as:
531.3.2 (ii) [page 156]
and 314 (iv) [page 56]
would come to mind?

But I could be wrong, and I am open to correction by other forum members older & wiser than myself..

;)

At home now;)

Yes those regs plus:

531.3.2 (iii) - which people always over look

So RCBO's should have been mandated at the 17th AMD3 ...............

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts