RCD test results

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not like the fact that a RCD that is used as additional protection "may" fail simply because the reccomended testing intervals are not adhered to.I have rcd's in my home been there for about 10 years now, tested? NEVER. and I am an electrician. If you work from home I suppose your monthly checks for calibration would test the rcd's, but if you work from an office or unit then the tests are carried out there.

People will not carry out the checks, often although the information is provided they will forget, or simply not bother, there is then a risk that under a fault the rcd will NOT operate within the required time.

If this where to happen, and god forbid a fatality occured, who would be to blame?

Unfortunately it would be the owner, because the manufacturer of the rcd will undoubtedly say, because the required testing was not carried out, failure is down to the owners.

I think this is shamefull.
The requirement for rcd protection is mainly about giving a greater degree of protection to the work done by incompetent sparks (many of whom have passed many yearly assessments) and the public themselves. Since the inception of the 17th Ed, even householders must ensure that rcd`s are fitted as, and when, appropriate - but they can`t test them so how can they comply with BS7671?

The idea of full rcd protection by way of consumer unit upgrades is a back-door method of reducing the risk of the wholesale bodging that the government will never admit actually takes place. The fact that this is steadily pushing more and more work into the hands of the very people it was meant to stop is considering incidental - our dwindling business is deemed collateral damage of little consequence............

All I will say is that you only get one chance for the RCD to trip in the event of a fault!!IMO.... if it doesn't trip the first time (within limits) then it's a fail

:coat
Absolutely 200% agree with you Noz.

How about this: you've got a ten year old car. You have an accident. The airbags fail to operate within spec and someone is injured. Oh, but that's okay 'cos they haven't been tested for ten years.

i don't think so!! Big litigation ahead.

The quarterly test is only a recommendation, not a get out clause for a faulty item (although I'd say about 50% of RCD failures are due to dust and dirt, usually plaster dust, getting inside them and gumming them up - a very good reson to ensure the necessary IP protection for top surfaces of CUs)

Safety first.

If you know that the rcd is failing due to mechanical problems that can easily be rectified, i.e by switching it on and off a few times, and insist on replacing the item with a similar rcd that is prone to exactly the same problems you could very likely be found guilty of deception and taking money under false pretences. As long as the rcd functions within accepted parameters under standard test conditions before you leave, you cannot be held responsible for the customer failing to follow the manufacturers guidelines.

i would not replace a RCD that once i have finished testing it is working fine. If the item is used outside the manufactures recommendation its no suprise its not working, if you just stick another one in a couple of years down the line same problem, surely education of the end user is the best thing here!