Ref; my thread about van running better on fuel from local garage .

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can never find old threads  ..anyway  .it was about my van running a lot better with fuel from local filling station than from ASDA ,  or was it my imagination , I can't remember  how that one turned out ..so I called at local garage yesterday  , put some diesel in , noticed on the big Gulf sign , diesel @  £ 127 /ltr   . So far so good.

Went in & paid , came out , glanced at the pump dial which showed diesel at £145 / ltr   Looked at the Gulf sign ..£127 .  So in true  Kerching style  I marched back into the shop to remonstrate in no uncertain terms .    

The Indian lady had been watching me doing the double take outside ......  " You come to complain about price  yes  ...but you must look at pump over this side is SUPER DIESEL ...pump other side is normal diesel  which is £127/ ltr    ...please not to be shouting at me "  

Deflated I promised not to shout ...battled my way out through a thousand schoolkids piling in  & slunk off into the sunset. 

BUT  quandry answered  ...SUPER diesel , van drives like a car ...NORMAL diesel  van drives like a van .    However I won't be paying £145 /ltr  from now on . 

Fill up with it once a month. Or once every four fills - just remembered you’re semi retired so perhaps don’t run that much fuel!! 

It has more additives to it and cleans the engine, alternatively for about £17 you can get reddex advanced diesel treatment. I used to put it in the van every three fills to start with (van had 180k miles) then went down to every four thousand miles, van drove much better, quieter, smoother and less smoke. The van whilst not belonging to me anymore is still going strong at 240k miles. 

I had the 2-day forum search feature course run as an evening class at my local college.....

Only cost £145...

But I didn't bother with the on-line exam so I don't actually have the certificate to prove I took it.   Guinness

Fill up with it once a month. Or once every four fills - just remembered you’re semi retired so perhaps don’t run that much fuel!! 

It has more additives to it and cleans the engine, alternatively for about £17 you can get reddex advanced diesel treatment. I used to put it in the van every three fills to start with (van had 180k miles) then went down to every four thousand miles, van drove much better, quieter, smoother and less smoke. The van whilst not belonging to me anymore is still going strong at 240k miles. 

Was in our local Wilkinson today to pick up some screenwash and some batteries for one of my meters..

I noticed they have Redex in their motoring section now....

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/travel-motoring/motoring/car-maintenance/filter-cleaners/c/910

I don't recall seeing it there before....

But then I may not have been looking!.

:C

That is the older stuff which you put in every tank. 

The newer stuff has more additives in and is more advanced and only needs to be put in every 3500 miles. 

I still use the cheaper stuff for my generator. 

Last edited by a moderator: