Relative Low Performance of Domestic PV System

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure if this is helpful. You mention you use Solis cloud. I've Inc some images from my Solis app and in the first image along the top it says device. Click on this and it opens the 2nd image which shows my 2 strings listed as pv1 and pv2.

View attachment 14607View attachment 14608
Thank you Andy. I can see the second page you have posted, but cannot find the first page. Not sure whether it’s the version I have, which I downloaded from the AppStore last month. It’s a pity that I can’t get the first page because it displays some really useful information. I’ll keep trying.

Hi Jena

I am glad you now better understand the technical aspect but all this would have not been possible with a dose of common sense that led you to think something was wrong.

There could be several reasons for those cables.
Just throwing hypothesis

1. They expected to connect the panels to a second string of your inverter but they found out your inverter had only one string. So left the cables (forgot to remove them?) and connected all the panels on one string
  2. If they expected to have 2 strings, well a previous photo shows only one DC switch.
  3. Keep an open mind because the truth could be elsewhere
Ed
In any case, they should have not left those cables like this.

It seems that you are in a very good position and have leverage for the conversation ahead.

Keep us posted

PS: I have said that for my installation the cable to the inverter for the second string was not attached correctly. They realized their mistakes and compensated me for the loss of the generation.
As requested, here is an update. A very efficient electrician arrived at 08:15 today to connect the second string. I made him coffee and explained the existing set-up and how I wanted the system configuring, based on what I’d learnt from this forum and trawling through the internet. He agreed that it all seemed reasonable and offered best efficiency. The outcome? Well, the two attached images speak for themselves. The first image shows generation at 11:00 this morning. The second, today’s output at 16:00 compared with previous outputs each day during December. All records broken. Needless to say, we are pleased. As a matter of comparison with our friends’ system (which is where this all started), they generated 12kWh today versus our 9 kWh. Given that they have a 6.4 kW system versus our 4kW system, we are happy.

PS We’re buying lunch for our friends tomorrow.

Attachments

• F676491E-EC3E-4DEA-98C6-D166D091C0C4.jpeg
    F676491E-EC3E-4DEA-98C6-D166D091C0C4.jpeg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 279834D6-4763-40CE-9DED-FBACC055D147.png
    279834D6-4763-40CE-9DED-FBACC055D147.png
    826.6 KB · Views: 1
As requested, here is an update. A very efficient electrician arrived at 08:15 today to connect the second string. I made him coffee and explained the existing set-up and how I wanted the system configuring, based on what I’d learnt from this forum and trawling through the internet. He agreed that it all seemed reasonable and offered best efficiency. The outcome? Well, the two attached images speak for themselves. The first image shows generation at 11:00 this morning. The second, today’s output at 16:00 compared with previous outputs each day during December. All records broken. Needless to say, we are pleased. As a matter of comparison with our friends’ system (which is where this all started), they generated 12kWh today versus our 9 kWh. Given that they have a 6.4 kW system versus our 4kW system, we are happy.

PS We’re buying lunch for our friends tomorrow.
Very glad you have managed to sort it out!!

The second string was not connected to the inverter.

I hope she asked for a small compensation because she lost in generation and therefore had to purchase more electricity.
Just wanted to say thanks as this post has helped me identify the issue with our solar set up. One of our strings was also not connected