Richmond Radial Drill wiring?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshipman

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1955 Richmond radial drill with Brookhirst switch gear etc. (I'm

based in Baldock, England, UK).

Unfortunately I can't tell you what model etc the drill is. But looking on

the internet it seems to be similar to the SR2.

Please check out images:

http://www.icknieldforge.co.uk/richmondradialdrill.jpg

http://www.icknieldforge.co.uk/richmondradialdrill_junctionbox.jpg

I need a wiring diagram or something for the main junction box, so I know where to connect the incoming 3phase etc. Terminals A, B D and E seem to be the only ones with nothing connected to them, at least on this side of the board (can't see behind). But I really don't know where it should go.

Also can anyone tell me what the various components in this box actually do please?

Any help gratefully received!

Junction box details:

Donovan Electrical, Birmingham B33 9BU (division of Brookhirst Igranic Ltd)

No. AIE114/727

Control Volts: 100/110

Stator Volts: 400/440

H.P.: 3 Max

Phase: 3

Hz: 50

Thanks and regards,

Ronnie Shipman

Icknield Forge - Blacksmithing, Fine Iron Work, Gates and Railings, Steel Supply and Fabrication, Decorative and Ornamental Pieces, Garden Furniture, Domestic Fixings, Fireplace Items, Wrought Iron

Is that the original control panel? it looks a little newer than 1955.

So inside you have a transformer to give you the 110V control supply from the 3 phase, contactors, relays.

I like jobs like this but even although it is a good photo without being able to probe about I am struggling. I initially thought that was a contactor on the right with the black tails going to it, with the black tails going to the motor but then I noticed that one of the contacts looks to be in the wrong sence (N/C intead of N/O ) might just be a trick of the picture.

What does the brown packing tape say on the black tails?

Is there an external isolator attached to the machine body perhaps, if so this is where your 3 phase will maybe go to.

Pity you weren't closer, I could have a look at that for you and you could make me a gate :)

Hopefully someone else will decipher your pictures better and give you a better explanation. I will have a closer look later as I am just going out.

I will give a note of caution, don't just go trying to connect up the 3 phase as someone might get hurt as it may go wrong, you do need someone who knows the job. Sorry if you are qualified but I have to say it. Speak later.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP,

My AV software and "stuff" will not let me access your site!

Thus I can't view the pics, sorry.

It seems from your post that you may be using this machine in a business venture, thus you need to ensure it complies with all relevant legislation prior to use, even if you are a sole trader.

If we can get sight of the pics & I can decipher them I'm sure I can help.

The picture links work ok for me Sidewinder, (and Roys apparently). Canoeboy would probably say something about needing a Mac! Welcome to the forum RShipman.

Doc H

They now work for me too!

Blinkin pc's!

Well its the wife's actually!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 19:31 ---------- Previous post was made at 19:22 ----------

Nice old RA there mate.

How many motors?

Just the one?

Looks like it may have plugging, & or posibly a star delta starter.

It's a bit before my time, as far as being made goes, but if I were along side it as steps says I could probably figure it out!

If you can trace where the 2 black wires go from the rhs of the fuses that would help.

Also a better picture of the individual contactors, that is the 2 square black things below the square unit with the fuses on top which is a 400/110V a.c. step down transformer for the control & the 2 similar items to the right in the picture. If you can then let us know which one is which in relation to the original pic.

How many buttons?

Just start & stop?

Does it have what we now call a "spin stop" like a telescopic car aerial connected to a switch near the chuck?

It will need a bit of work to be compliant for business use though, well doable and well worth doing too imho.

Rshipman, I think you will find the incoming terminals elsewhere on the machine , the ones you mention are , I think, outputs from the control circuit transformer, which is 400v in and 110v out.

The Donovan Electric Company in Brum is long gone, I'm afraid, it was flattened by a charging herd of dinosaurs .

Try looking for a 3/4" or 1" entry hole with nothing in it , usually somewhere near the main switch , probably on the back. I'd guess it will be a 3ph supply with no neutral judging by the control transformer.

Deke,

I think the terms in the OP are different primary tappings, if you look one of them is marked 0 as far as I can tell, then the others I am guessing would be the diferent input voltage tapings to get your 110V out.

I agree it looks adjustable, it also looks like it has more than one motor going by the contacts, but I am not sure.

Yes I'm sure you're right Sidey, 2 phases in via those two HRC fuses and 110v out via the Slylock and the earthed terminal by the look of it.

The main feed may be wherever those black cables come from on the floor of the enclosure. Do I see some modern green/yellow there.

A quick history lesson . The Donovan Elect. Company was in the Stetchford area of Birmingham , they manufactored starters and control gear . Their machines were glued to the floor because the firm I did my time with installed floor heating there. ( Just before the dinosaurs came)

I think there is only one motor on those things, the one you see on the top . The traverse is manual , I'd say, the vertical feed may be manual/auto . The contactors must be forward /reverse for the chuck , can't see any overloads.

Wow, thanks for all the replies!

Actually I was being completely daft. There is indeed an isolator attached to foot plate behind the pillar, with two cables coming out. One fits to coolant pump, other to 3-phase supply. A third loom goes up inside the pillar and connects to the main supply contact breaker (?) behind a panel in radial arm. So no fiddling with control box required, phew.

Well actually not quite. One of the contact breakers (?) in the control box buzzes loudly when spindle is switched on (both clockwise and anticlockwise). Time for another photo:

http://www.icknieldforge.co.uk/richmondradialdrill_jbox02.jpg

http://www.icknieldforge.co.uk/richmondradialdrill_jbox03.jpg

So the contact breaker in question is marked, and the second image shows a close-up of same.

So why does it buzz? I have had it apart to see if anything obvious shows up, but I couldn

Latest posts