Sales strategy

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found the reason for no Denmans Branches in the London area .         

They print a monthly magazine called The Connector , which lists all the stock plus trade prices  .     With the extortionate price of  things in the London area , obviously the Connector prices would not reflect that so  , either have two Connectors  or no branches in the area. 

iirc screwfix sell at the same price in or out of london
Ah  Interesting !   I'm sure you're right .   Just looking at my Electrifix catalogue  ..."Over 450 stores Nationwide "   ,.  So perhaps its not the prices then . 

I was told years ago that Denmans prefered to deal with the "little man"   rather than the N G Baileys  or Steptoe Electrical s of this world .

I also learned that it made economic sense to open a branch  near other wholesalers.

It doubles the size of the customer "Footprint"  to your door.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also learned that it made economic sense to open a branch  near other wholesalers.

It doubles the size of the customer "Footprint"  to your door.

That has been standard practice for all types of business for years. I can think of numerous places where you will find a groups of car dealerships, or petrol stations, or coffee shops, or supermarkets, or estate agents, or hairdressers, or pound shops, or DIY/Garden center outlets either next door or within a few hundred yards of each other. Principal being if a customer is looking for one item and it is quick and easy to compare a price next door, if you are the "next door" outlet you can be gaining customers from your completion. Customers still like the ability to compare products and prices, hence the abundance of compare this or that sites on the internet.

Doc H.

Principal being if a customer is looking for one item and it is quick and easy to compare a price next door, if you are the "next door" outlet you can be gaining customers from your completion.

Exactly the reason my mums shop is next door to the biggest competitor!

.....and how much has that cost us?......

prob need the dough to,fund the pies at LFBs retirement party

cascade_of_pies_head.jpg.ebc421a6a01cbc49e11846570f939507.jpg

I received one , not used it yet .

I already had one from a few years ago , I used it at B&Q  a good while back, .  Chose a shower cubicle , base, wash basin , toilet in the main store ....took it through the trade exit and did actually save a good discount . 

Be interesting to see what the prices are compared to a normal Tradepoint card, and also considering that B&Q and Screwfix are owned bby Kingfisher so most of B&Q's stuff is available cheaper in Screwfix anyway.

Be interesting to see what the prices are compared to a normal Tradepoint card, and also considering that B&Q and Screwfix are owned bby Kingfisher so most of B&Q's stuff is available cheaper in Screwfix anyway.
The Electricfix card is useless, so called trade prices, I got a coil of cable recently and it was the same price on the Electricfix trade side as the normal Screwfix side! The problem with Denmans is they have a habit of closing your account if you don't use it.

My mate has had 2, he uses different wholesalers depending on where he is working, recently I went to get some stuff for a job and he said to stick it on his account as I was a bit short of ready cash at the time, only trouble was they'd closed his account, yet again, as he'd not used it for a few months.

The Electricfix card is useless, so called trade prices, I got a coil of cable recently and it was the same price on the Electricfix trade side as the normal Screwfix side! The problem with Denmans is they have a habit of closing your account if you don't use it.

My mate has had 2, he uses different wholesalers depending on where he is working, recently I went to get some stuff for a job and he said to stick it on his account as I was a bit short of ready cash at the time, only trouble was they'd closed his account, yet again, as he'd not used it for a few months.
Denmans do have a thing about close "dead" accounts .  Probably to save on sending out the Connector magazine every month . 

Now my work & turnover have reduced considerably I had to ask my local branch not to close my account as I have changed to the Man in Black method mostly .

However a few small items still go through  (a) To keep the account alive.  (b)  To maintain my discounts & (c) To maintain my 60 days credit incase I take on something bigger. 

The Electricfix card is useless, so called trade prices, I got a coil of cable recently and it was the same price on the Electricfix trade side as the normal Screwfix side!

Some stuff is the same price, some stuff is massively discounted though.

Latest posts