Sat distribution

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Evening all.

Ok. I'm no expert when it comes to TV/SAT distribution. I usually get somebody in to do it for me. However on this particular job im pricing, I'll have a go myself.

Basically a satellite outlet is required in every room of the property (domestic) 9 rooms. They want to be able to use freesat+ in every room. So I take it I need to run twin coax to every room from a central point, and then 4 x coax cables to a dish with a quad LNB?

If the above is correct then what type of switch/amplifier do I need to be able to distribute the signal?

Cheers.

GS

You're going to need a satellite multiswitch... This will need to be connected to a quad LNB and two coax to each satellite receiver boxes if you're wanting sky+,,, some multiswitches will even allow TV signals to be distributed

They intend on having a box in each room
Then you will need an LNB for each receiver, so at minimum you are talking two dishes, 1 with an Octo and the other with a Quad (cheaper than dual LNB now), +1 LNB for each room you want to to record whilst watching another channel. I'd imagine they are unlikely to need record in every room, so with a 8+4 you have 3 rooms that could have 2 feeds for recording alla Sky+, with two Octos you could have independent recording in 7 rooms (but I can't see why you would want too IMHO ).

Also if you intend to wire all Sat feeds back to a central point and onto the rooms take into account cable lengths if this is a large home (9 rooms?), if you get to 30m you might need to consider CT125.

And just a thought it might be worth looking at Panasonic TV's that have FreeSat built in as we are not talking Sky here, also with Panasonics you can enable a PVR on some models by plugging in a USB drive.

Overall I'd question if central wiring from the dish and back to rooms on this one is of any real benefit, if the house is a referb I'd look at feeding into the loft and down into each room if they wish to hide cables

Then you will need an LNB for each receiver, so at minimum you are talking two dishes, 1 with an Octo and the other with a Quad (cheaper than dual LNB now), +1 LNB for each room you want to to record whilst watching another channel. I'd imagine they are unlikely to need record in every room, so with a 8+4 you have 3 rooms that could have 2 feeds for recording alla Sky+, with two Octos you could have independent recording in 7 rooms (but I can't see why you would want too IMHO ).Also if you intend to wire all Sat feeds back to a central point and onto the rooms take into account cable lengths if this is a large home (9 rooms?), if you get to 30m you might need to consider CT125.

And just a thought it might be worth looking at Panasonic TV's that have FreeSat built in as we are not talking Sky here, also with Panasonics you can enable a PVR on some models by plugging in a USB drive.

Overall I'd question if central wiring from the dish and back to rooms on this one is of any real benefit, if the house is a referb I'd look at feeding into the loft and down into each room if they wish to hide cables
Cheers.

I am looking at feeding into loft and distributing from there.

So if I was to use a multiswitch as Noz sugested, would this not work?

I'm just thinking, on large blocks of flats I only ever see 1 large dish with a quad LNB on the end and an ariel next to it. Every flat has 2 sat feeds and a terrestrial feed.

Thanks Robo

GS

Then you will need an LNB for each receiver
No you need a Quad LNB and something like this.

If you run a 5 core coax to the dish then take the white core to an aerial and then 2 coax to each room from the multiswitch, fit a quadplexe plate in each room and you will have freesat+ and freeview.

No you need a Quad LNB and something like this.If you run a 5 core coax to the dish then take the white core to an aerial and then 2 coax to each room from the multiswitch, fit a quadplexe plate in each room and you will have freesat+ and freeview.
Cheers. Can i still use a small dish (like the sky ones) rather than a bigger 60cm one?

I will be distributing 8 feeds

No you need a Quad LNB and something like this.If you run a 5 core coax to the dish then take the white core to an aerial and then 2 coax to each room from the multiswitch, fit a quadplexe plate in each room and you will have freesat+ and freeview.
Well always willing to be corrected :Blushing

Seems the pricing has dropped since I last looked at this type of solution

i would use a quatro not a quad lnb into a multi-switch you can have upto a 32 way i think so you only need 1 dish and then feed a shotgun cable down to each point from the multiswitch.

if you want freeview in each room also connect that to the multi switch also

i would use a quatro not a quad lnb into a multi-switch you can have upto a 32 way i think so you only need 1 dish and then feed a shotgun cable down to each point from the multiswitch. if you want freeview in each room also connect that to the multi switch also
Yup it seems you must use a model that supports mutiswitch

anyone got a good suppler, online preferably of 5core? ive been using multiruns of ct100 because the last lot i got was screwfix because i needed some last min, and it was a bit crap. cheers andy

anyone got a good suppler, online preferably of 5core? ive been using multiruns of ct100 because the last lot i got was screwfix because i needed some last min, and it was a bit crap. cheers andy
Try these guys, you'll need to call them for trade pricing but they do stock it

TDI Group

Hi gents

I've got something very similar to the first post

Don't suppose one of you could draw up a basic diagram for me

Looking at install sky hd to 7 rooms domestic

Cheers

Latest posts