Scantronic Eaton 9448+ additional internal speaker query.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flylead

Reaction score
Can anyone help with my query please?
Just replaced an elderly A1 intruder alarm panel with a Scantronic 9448+ (panel internal speaker is rated 32ohm 0.5watt).
The old installation needed an additional internal speaker (8 ohm 0.3 watts) sited by the front door as the main panel was in a cupboard and the entry/exit tones were/are hard to hear.
I've got to get/fit a new internal speaker, the Scantronic part 9040UK is rated at a 16 ohm 12 watts which appears to be connected in parallel to the panel's internal speaker, the manual doesn't say? Other manufacturers speakers for this purpose seem to be similarly rated.
Does anyone know why the manufacturer's power rating for the additional speaker is so high, the maximum panel power output is only 800mA, or is there something I don't understand?
It would be nice if I could get away with a smaller/lower power speaker as it would fit inside the existing enclosure by the door.
Thanks in anticipation.

As you say, 800mA is the maximum current available for any auxiliary devices, it has nothing to do with the speaker.

It would be pointless specifying an undersized speaker (watts) as it would not last long, and could damage the panel.
Most alarm panels can drive an 8ohm speaker, but 16 is the "norm" since if you connect two in parallel the impedance is now 8ohm
You can get a suitable boxed 16ohm speaker for just over £5, it will work first time, and give you no problems.

Can anyone help with my query please?
Just replaced an elderly A1 intruder alarm panel with a Scantronic 9448+ (panel internal speaker is rated 32ohm 0.5watt).
The old installation needed an additional internal speaker (8 ohm 0.3 watts) sited by the front door as the main panel was in a cupboard and the entry/exit tones were/are hard to hear.
I've got to get/fit a new internal speaker, the Scantronic part 9040UK is rated at a 16 ohm 12 watts which appears to be connected in parallel to the panel's internal speaker, the manual doesn't say? Other manufacturers speakers for this purpose seem to be similarly rated.
Does anyone know why the manufacturer's power rating for the additional speaker is so high, the maximum panel power output is only 800mA, or is there something I don't understand?
It would be nice if I could get away with a smaller/lower power speaker as it would fit inside the existing enclosure by the door.
Thanks in anticipation.
Normally any off the shelf internal speaker from an alarm wholesaler will do these are usually 16 ohm