Screwdriver bit research

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Roys, yeah slotted screws are only ever any good when driving by hand really aren't they?

What do you use the 6mm hex for?

Yes, the 50mm impact bits are popular products in our range too (and we do 75mm long 😉)

Thanks again,

Phil
Been using the 6mm hex most of the week for removing and refitting solar panels to allow for new roof tiles to be fitted. There is what is best described as a barrel with a 6mm socket type head on it that holds down a top hat styled bracket between the panels to secure them to the rails.

Hi Duck, thanks for that. I thought the Robinsons were dying out. What do you use them for?

The problem with flat heads in impact drivers is that the bit slews sideways out of the screw slot due to the action and speed of the impact driver. I don't think we'll ever get away from that and may be why they're not as common nowadays.

HSS bits with a 1/4" hex shank you say? Interesting!

https://armeg.com/news/2018/12/04/make-an-impact-pt-2/

https://www.armeg.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=69&product_id=129

Thanks for the feedback 😊

Phil

The Robinsons seem to be common with ducters & dryliners when using self drilling screws.

They rarely cam out and are good at driving screws high speed into sheet steel metal and sometimes the thicker stuff.

they aren't that common sadly as I think they are quite good.

Found a 6mm flat head bit was quite good for removing m6 gutter bolts but not good at installing them in tray/ whatever.

I looked at those bits, very nice but can't find anywhere that stocks them.

Welcome :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Been using the 6mm hex most of the week for removing and refitting solar panels to allow for new roof tiles to be fitted. There is what is best described as a barrel with a 6mm socket type head on it that holds down a top hat styled bracket between the panels to secure them to the rails.
Aaaah I see now, thanks for that. I suspected the application might be a bit niche. I've been tasked with coming up with a limited number of heads for the most common applications, hence the research. Thanks so much for the input, much appreciated.

Phil.

The Robinsons seem to be common with ducters & dryliners when using self drilling screws.

They rarely cam out and are good at driving screws high speed into sheet steel metal and sometimes the thicker stuff.

they aren't that common sadly as I think they are quite good.

Found a 6mm flat head bit was quite good for removing m6 gutter bolts but not good at installing them in tray/ whatever.

I looked at those bits, very nice but can't find anywhere that stocks them.

Welcome :D
Thanks for that. Very useful information. I suspected the Robinsons were dying out. We were asked years ago to supply them, we never got round to it as it kept getting pushed down the new products pecking order and to be honest the requests stopped coming.

I honestly think Torx will take over.

Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Phil.

I'd forgotten about the smaller size +/-     drivers   , they fit the neutral & earth bars in boards  but every one I bought sheared o
Never had an issue with them,,,,,until yesterday AND it was a WIHA my driver of choice.

nevr had an issue with Wood Beavers or whatever they are called but if I did I would get over it very quickly

Acceler8.......11/10

Never had an issue with them,,,,,until yesterday AND it was a WIHA my driver of choice.

nevr had an issue with Wood Beavers or whatever they are called but if I did I would get over it very quickly

Acceler8.......11/10
Thanks Kerch.

Feeling a lot of love for Acceler8 😀

Phil.

Hi Phil,

We're disappointed you feel all our products are "carp". We're sorry the isolated incident you had with one of our Nail Proof WoodBeavers has affected your views on our brand. We produce a myriad of products and it's great to hear you're a fan of our masonry bits.

Did you contact us about the issue you had with our Nail Proof Wood Beavers? If so, what was the outcome? The Nail Proof WoodBeaver range is one our best selling lines and has a reputation for minimal quality issues, so we'd have been keen to discuss any potential problems you had.

If you still have the goosed Wood Beaver, I'd be more than willing to take a look at it for you. DM me for details on how to return - we're always here to help.

Phil. 
HI, I did contact a guy on one of your stands at an Elex show, to be honest he wasn't interested, it was a case of " how do we know what you've done with them", Now I'm not one of those who complains about stuff without reason, and I look after my tools, in fact I have 2 Makita drills, one bought about 30 years ago, and one bought back in 1999, and they are still going strong. Tools are an investment when you use them to earn a living, so you have to buy those that not only represent value for money, but last a decent length of time, assuming they are not abused of course.

One of the problems tool manufacturers such as yourselves face is quality, versus sales. If you produce a very reliable product that lasts years, then yes, you will have a lot of happy customers, but it does your sales no good if customers only need to replace an item say every five years. Now assuming we are talking screwdriver bits, then if we assume that the end user uses them correctly, I.E, impact rated bits in impact drivers, pz bits with pz screws,etc then they should last a reasonable length of time, months rather than weeks.

It's very hard I know, I remember reading a review on a set of diamond core bits, the guy was slating them, he'd only got one hole in ordinary brick with a 115mm one, then he went on to say that after he'd been given a replacement set he'd discovered they worked better without hammer action! If he'd known anything about diamond cores, or maybe even read the instructions, he'd have realised that diamond bits should never be used on hammer.

HI, I did contact a guy on one of your stands at an Elex show, to be honest he wasn't interested, it was a case of " how do we know what you've done with them", Now I'm not one of those who complains about stuff without reason, and I look after my tools, in fact I have 2 Makita drills, one bought about 30 years ago, and one bought back in 1999, and they are still going strong. Tools are an investment when you use them to earn a living, so you have to buy those that not only represent value for money, but last a decent length of time, assuming they are not abused of course.

One of the problems tool manufacturers such as yourselves face is quality, versus sales. If you produce a very reliable product that lasts years, then yes, you will have a lot of happy customers, but it does your sales no good if customers only need to replace an item say every five years. Now assuming we are talking screwdriver bits, then if we assume that the end user uses them correctly, I.E, impact rated bits in impact drivers, pz bits with pz screws,etc then they should last a reasonable length of time, months rather than weeks.

It's very hard I know, I remember reading a review on a set of diamond core bits, the guy was slating them, he'd only got one hole in ordinary brick with a 115mm one, then he went on to say that after he'd been given a replacement set he'd discovered they worked better without hammer action! If he'd known anything about diamond cores, or maybe even read the instructions, he'd have realised that diamond bits should never be used on hammer.
Hi Phil, I'm going to DM you about the Wood Beaver issue so as not to deviate too much from the original subject of the thread. Hope that's OK.

You're right in the fact that it could be a problem to make products that last TOO long but that's not in our remit as a quality tool manufacturer. You only have to look at the longevity of our LDX , Acceler8 and even our PTC diamond tools to see that we do have products that have an incredibly long life.

Regarding instructions, yes it is a source of frustration when people have problems caused by misuse that could have been avoided if they'd read the instructions. Particularly for me personally as I have a big hand in writing them! 🤣

Phil.

Latest posts