Sd Card Eater?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnOff

Mad Inventor™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Friend has a Galaxy S3. Was working OK one evening, he went to bed and the next morning the micro SD card appeared blank. I've placed in a card reader in pcs running Win 7 Pro and Xp Pro the SD card shows up as 32GB in size, in RAW format with the message coming up to format the card.

Seems plenty on the net about S3's and 4's doing this. Some suggesting it's to do with cheap cards / certain classes of cards etc. Some say it happens with 32GB cards and to use a 64GB card others the opposite. BTW its a SanDisk 32GB - not sure on the class. Suggestions it could be a power surge, virus etc. Malaware bytes and AVG won't work, as I say it's in RAW format.

I've tried half a dozen recovery programs inc Recuva under Windows but nothing works. Aiming to go back with an Ubuntu laptop and have a go.

Have read that if I Quick Format it i should then be able to use a recovery program as long as I don't load anything else on.

So, do I tell him that all his photos of lovely ladies are gone?

Cheers

There's been a lot of fake flash drives and SD cards going around. People take a smaller card (maybe 1 or 2 gig) and remap it in the low level firmware geometry as a larger disk (maybe 16 or 32 gig). It may work for a while until there's either something stored at an unresolvable address or corruption occurs. You can try running the card in a pc using an application that can self map the geometry but even then they're generally not salvageable unless you can precisely identify the original drive and obtain the original firmware.

try photorec in Linux

has always worked for me,

do NOT do anything else with the card until you try this,

dont read write or move anything on it,

once you even try and move or delete a file it can alter the whole file structure thus rendering recovery nigh on impossible.

although I have sometimes been able to recover stuff even after partial overwrites.

Perhaps someone can give me a little advice.

I have a digital radio which uses an SD card &

I bought an 8 GB one but every time I slide it in

the slot on the control panel it turns the radio off.

The settings on the radio permit the formatting

of the card every time a new one is inserted and

a colleague has suggested that I format it on a

lap top or similar before I try and use it in the radio.

Any ideas?

try photorec in Linux

has always worked for me,

do NOT do anything else with the card until you try this,

dont read write or move anything on it,

once you even try and move or delete a file it can alter the whole file structure thus rendering recovery nigh on impossible.

although I have sometimes been able to recover stuff even after partial overwrites.
Cheers. Inserting the SD card in a card reader into a PC running a Live USB of Ubuntu 12.04 and it wouldn't even see it as a drive whereas Windows XP & 7 do......I'm missing something here aren't I?

It prob won't automount it if running LIVE, try going to apps, top left icon, open disk utility(or similar) , your card reader should be there with all its slots, select the slot the sd card is in.

Last edited by a moderator: