Securing Cable Without Clips? Glue?!?!?!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ray-bentos

Reaction score
Hi

Just done a CU change and the shower circuit was in 6mm T&E for a 9.5kw shower.  The cable is REF method C throughout.

However on the original install the cable left the CU from the top and went about 2ft before disappearing through the ceiling.  There were no cable clips or anything, the wire was just loose. 

During the change I had toyed with the idea of chasing the cable in the wall (buried wires still count as REF method C yes?) however there isn't much loose on the cable and its directly in front of pretty much every other cables drop to the CU which means its a bit of a no go.  As such I can't even clip it to the wall due to the risk of the pin penetrating another cable. 

It just looks a bit 'micky mouse' hanging there.  It is semi-tight but could really do with securing to the wall.  Has anyone ever successfully (IE:  in a way which is compliant) 'glued' a cable to the wall?  I was thinking of either a few spots of mitre fast (good superglue) just every so often to hold it still or even gluing some clips to the wall??

Also this job is my first Elecsa assessment piece so could really do with it to be spot on.....!

That was obviously my first thought but derates the cable beyond what I need from it

You know you can get sticky back bases? Which you whack a small cable tie through? But then if you can get that on the wall surely you can get a normal cable clip on the wall?

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Fixings_Index/Cable_Ties/index.html

...........or hot glue gun, the alarm fitter's favourite! :lol:

Sticky back trunking,,, but thats a different ref method :eek:
What about slotted trunking? I even saw they do it in Wickes now!

TBH as long as it's neat, improves what was there and you have the right selection of biscuits I'm sure he'll be happy!

Sticky back base may work but can't whack anything into wall as the cables for whole installation run up the back of where this cable is, very high risk of penetrating them with nail.

Could the OP not consider the whole "area" where the cu is and cut a piece of plasterboard to fit over ALL the cables. Photos would help.

Superglue and GripFill both work.  But if the cables are not straight it still looks Sh1t . .   Useful for AV cables up walls though if trunking and cutting the wall both not acceptable

Latest posts