self employed with 2365 L2 and L3

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pango

Reaction score
I did 2365 L2 and L3 last year and also done 17th Edition. i have about a 1 year experience working on commercial sites. I am stuck as to how to progress from here as i have discovered its not as straight forward as other professions.  My main question is, it possible to register for Part P and what kind of ECS card can i apply for? What do i need to be self employed ? Any ideas please...,

I'm not well up on modern qualifications  (other than 17th)   so I presume you are now a qualified sparks on paper but lack some pratical experience . 

To become self employed , if I remember correctly , just inform the National Insurance people & your local tax office , job done .  

When you say  " Register for Part P"   that means nothing ...Part P is a section of the Building Regs appertaining to domestic electrics.

So, if you are doing domestic work  it would be a good idea to become a Registered Domestic Installer by signing up with one of the providers such as , NICEIC, ELECSA, NAPPITT, and the cheapest ...STROMA .   This allows you to sign off your own jobs for Building Control .

If you do not intend to return to site work you won't need an ECS card or a CSCS card  or a union card or a JIB card ,  but to be honest if you have a JIB card it would be a good idea to keep it going . 

How confident are you in working alone on domestic stuff .  ? 

For the ECS card you could apply for the Stage 3 Trainee Electrician. You should really consider completing your training by achieving the 2357 NVQ, then you can get the Electrician ECS card.

Some people get to the point where they don't think its worth doing, but I have heard recently of Sparkies being turned away from site without the Gold Electrician ECS card. I occasionally get phone calls from Sparkies with 5+ years experience saying that are now required to complete the NVQ, because they want to move companies and new employers do not recognise them as a qualified Electrician.

Good luck

Neil

Latest posts