Setting Up Sky Eye

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwestwood13

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

After scouring the net for hours and looking through hundreds of different threads i have not been able to find an answer to my question so i would really appreciate some advice from the pro's ;)

So the story so far....

I have recently moved into a new build property and i am wanting to set up a sky eye using the existing aerial points.

I have got sky in my lounge at the moment and i am wanting it in the master and 3rd bedroom upstairs.

I have enabled the power from the sky box via the hidden menu thing and plugged in a coax cable from the RF2 output on the box to the aerial point in the wall (Will this work or should i run coax through the house? (Cant really afford this)

I then connect the sky eye to the aerial point in the 3rd bedroom upstairs, but LED doesn't light up. Therefore the power is not getting through. Could this be because i do not have an aerial in the loft? Therefore resulting in a 'break' in a circuit?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :pray

Cheers in advance,

Ben

For ONE tv, you need a DIRECT coax cable from sky box RF out 2 to the remote tv.

IF you are trying to use existing cable, then IF the cable from the living room goes into the loft, and IF the cable from the bedroom also goes into the loft, then join them together WITHOUT connecting either to an aerial. That will give you the "direct" connection (direct in electrical terms, even if physically it's a round about route)

Now if that bedroom tv also wants to watch terrestrial tv (either analogue or digital) then you achieve that by feeding a terrestrial tv aerial into the Sky box RF IN socket. The sky box will then relay that out of it's RF1 and RF 2 sockets to the remote tv allowing them to also watch terrestrial tv.

You can see, for all the wiring to be hidden, you now need TWO cables from the living room (one for aerial in and one for loop out to the loft)

Now if you want to watch sky on TWO or more remote tv's, then up in the loft you need a Distribution amplifier. The cable coming up from the living room feeds the IN of the distribution amplifier and each output of the distribution amplifier feeds to one tv. The amplifier must be "DC Pass" or "tv link" compatible. Sometimes refered to as a loft box. you will also need mains power for this amplifier.

If you can't achieve that without installing fresh wiring, look instead at wireless video senders.

Coax cable is cheap. The ends are easy to do. You can always drill through the wall [angle down] and back in.

It's often available by the metre at electrical shops, Wilkinsons. A 100m roll is just over

Needs to be a direct cable right from the sky box to the magic eye (unless you use a distribution amp like the post above mentions) If you pass the coax through wall plates or them Y combiners the magic eye dosn't work.

Needs to be a direct cable right from the sky box to the magic eye (unless you use a distribution amp like the post above mentions) If you pass the coax through wall plates or them Y combiners the magic eye dosn't work.
There are some 1x in 2x out made by Triax that support DC pass through (

:eek: :red card:coat:coat :^O
's up Badge? For a bog standard Sky in a second room a few metres away you won't notice any difference between cheapo cable and decent stuff. I did our extension with a roll of SF budget stuff and the picture upstairs is just as good as the feed coming directly from the Sky box.