Sick of Part Peee

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cirrus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quoted on a small kitchen refit. Client happy with price at time, 2 weeks on and the kitchen fitter has been in to quote and has incorporated the electrics into his price. Client phones me - "oh, he is much cheaper than you so I shall be using him for the whole job". Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh how many times!!!!?????? He isn't even defined scope with a scam provider. When are people going to realise that Part P is there for THEIR safety and the whole idea is to stop fitters like these from touching the electrics?!

I have had enough! Someone has to do something quickly or I fear I may be liable to drop the whole scam provider thing and run 'underground' to make a dishonest, but healthy living. I am sure after a while I will learn to sleep at night!

I think we should all unite and kick it into touch, it's just not working and the reports that it's worked in reducing accidents and fires is probably about 1% true.

I fear I may be liable to drop the whole scam provider thing and run 'underground' to make a dishonest' date=' but healthy living[/quote']I know of a spark who has never ever been part p approved yet it has never stopped him making a very very good living, huge house he has a 4x4 his wife a new golf( she doesn't work) daughter a new fiat 500 (she doesnt work)caravan in the lakes,

It does annoy me when you have to try to explain to customers about part p. every Joe public knows about gas safe and would not dare touch a gas pipe. but everyone is willing to grab some twin and earth to stick.a new light in. or even some change a cu. Its about time the scams publicized it more, we pay them enough. I'm sure that if I change my combi and I blew the house up the insurance would not pay up. should be the same for electrics. part p cert or no pay out. If Joe public don't know and don't want to know why should I?

Actually, just to correct the above point, DIY gas work is NOT illegal. You must be competent, that's the only requirement.

It's only when you start doing gas work for others or charging for it, that you must be Gas Safe registered.

Proving competence may be another issue of course, and that's what your insurance company wuld be looking at if it went wrong no doubt.

PartP..........what actually are the consequences for the customer?.....are they not able to sell their house without a cert? i bet they can!

dunno, would the mortgage ask for it? or the new insurance company? :C

bet the insurance co wouldnt give a **** until you make a claim, then just say they wont pay for your flooded bathroom cos your electrics didnt have a part P cert.!

You can moan about other bits of part P but in reality cost isn't a big hurdle!

:coat
Might not be a big cost, but i still find it a pi$$ take when my gas fitter friends only pay

why does everyone moan about part-p. if it went back to how it was before the big P, anyone could just have a go at electrics like the good old days.

though most people still do just have a go anyway.

I think some of you guys are missing the point......

there are guys out there who are not competent,,dont have insurance or proper test kit, dont issue certs and charging the same if not more than we do and nothing is done about their shoddy work

guys on here have tried reporting it and got nowhere

so what do you think then if one of us does a cu change,,provide certs,a 12 month warranty and all work carried out IAW the green book and part p regs but dont notify it to building control

what is the worst that is going to happen ???

well its like the m'lurd...... you could run rings around the system and all you would get is a slap on the wrist

that is of course you get caught in the first place !!!!!!

more chance winning the lottery !!!!