Single line equipment and single line circuits???

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

L-E_Fault

Reaction score
Can anybody give me some examples of 'single line equipment' and 'single line circuits' please as I haven't got a clue what they are. ?:| ? :|

Muchas gracias Tim

Without any more info i'm thinking about a radial circuit.

example could be lighting circuit or perhaps a feed to a motor for equipment.

like i say just a guess at present.

The actual question is this,

During fault diagnosis and rectification, a number of systems and types of equipment may be encountered. State

a.3 types of single line equipment.

b. 3 types of single line circuits.

As Line Conductor is the correct term for L (N is also a LIVE conductor) then i agree with above, Single Line - Single Phase circuit.

ye olde model forms still refer to number & type of 'LIVE' conductors..
Why wouldn't they?

e.g. A three phase system could have either three or four live conductors.

As for "single line" it is blatantly incorrect as the Regulations refer to single phase.

Why wouldn't they?e.g. A three phase system could have either three or four live conductors.

As for "single line" it is blatantly incorrect as the Regulations refer to single phase.
That's city and guilds for ya. A few of the questions were worded to the 16th edition still.

That's city and guilds for ya. A few of the questions were worded to the 16th edition still.
16th Edition was single phase etc. as well. There has never been "single line" or "three line". Phase conductor became line conductor in 17th Edition but single phase remains single phase.

Line is the new term for phase.

If you look up Phase conductor in the definitions, it refers you to Line conductor.

Line is the new term for phase.If you look up Phase conductor in the definitions, it refers you to Line conductor.
were well aware of that.... but phase is still refered to many times...

just 1 example: 612.12: check of phase sequence

yes, but it still refers to it as phase. otherwise it would be 'check of line sequence'

7671 has no consistency with what it wants to call it. names constantly change in definitions, but the rest of the book is a mix match

Now I interpreted the 'Line' bit as physical conductors....

Bits you can touch..

But the phase bit is the time-space continueum... (oops Dr Who head slipping on again)...

of the rise and fall of the magnitude of voltage over a period of time...

NONE physical...

The bit you cant touch!!!!

if you get what I mean after a few..

GuinnessGuinnessGuinnessGuinness

it made sense when me fingers typed it!?

ROTFWL :C

:coat

Deke and KME said they would explain it..............

after Andy e-mailed the answer that Batty told him! :p