Slate Roof Fastener

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gselectrical

Reaction score
Good morning all. 

We are hoping to become MCS registered this year to install PV systems as some of our existing clients are looking to install solar PV. 

I am currently researching different mounting systems for slate roofs as this is the most common tile in our area. 

I have been looking at K2 mounting systems. The recommended bracket for a slate roof is a flat type bracket without a step. I can't seem to find any information/pictures of how this bracket is secured. Is the bracket screwed directly to the rafter or is it screwed to the batten with a packer between the bracket and the rafter? Most images/videos on line show a bracket with a step in it been used.

After looking at a video showing the installation of solar flash on a slate roof, the bracket used also has a step in it allowing the bracket to sit off the slate. Would the solar flash work with a bracket without a step?

Sorry if this sounds rather vague, but I am new to all of this. I just want to gather as much information as possible before we start installing. 

As always any help/advice much appreciated. 

Cheers

GS

bracket 1.jpg

bracket 2.jpg

Cheers Canoe. 

When I said screwed to the batten, I was meaning to say screwed through the batten into the rafter (Where the batten crosses the rafter) - Sorry should have been more clear. 

I'm just not sure if these brackets sit on top of the batten or on top of the rafter, in between the battens. The brackets seem quite long so if they where to sit on top of the rafter then the battens would have to be pretty far apart! 

As you can probably tell, my roofing knowledge at present is fairly limited or rather non existent! We will be using a roofer to fit the brackets, but I would like to know the methods myself before starting.

On a new build I am assuming this type of slate bracket is fitted after felt and battens are fitted?

Cheers

GS

The roofer we will be using is a good friend of mine. We will probably work together to install brackets. 

I did C&G 2399 back in 2013. We have been so busy with the electrical side of things since then that we have not managed to become MCS registered. Although the course was very good, we only touched briefly on roof fasteners/brackets. What we did learn was based on a standard concrete tile type roof (although the same principal - I just want to make sure we will be doing things right)

Cheers

GS

Info on slate roofs is basically vague - ie work it out yourself!! lol.

we prefer the completely flat bracket with packing , we tned to arrange it so that the lower edge of the roof hook (curly end) just sits on the batten, and top edge catches the batten above it. We like this because it takes all the bounce out of the brackets, preventing movement in windy conditions, preventing flashing from moving around and failing. Flashing wise, we like 'lead-lite' very easy to work with, and basically we flash over and under the bracket to compensate for cutting holes in slates. i'll see if I can find some pictures. have a look at the 'Red-Tip' slate roof hook instructions - similar principle to what we do, except we don't take whole slate out.

Thanks binky. Much appreciated.

So your flat bracket is basically sitting on top of the battens, with a packer in between the 2 battens? I am assuming Solar flash can be used with this method?

GS

Solar flash 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, solarflash uses the 'kinked roof hook' and srews direct to rafters just above a batten - I keep looking at these but don't like the cost, plus my team are so used to doing our own method, i don't see a great advantage for the cost. I am planning on giving them a go at some point, they do look good.

Thanks binky. 

So I am assuming my roofer will have to install some lead flashing over where the bracket is fixed?

As below (finally found some pics!!)

Solar Slate mount 1.jpgSolar slate mount 2.jpg

Cheers for the advice Steps.

Have you fitted this type of fastener or do you use a different system?

Cheers

GS

didn't realise wagner were doing those. how much are they?

your pictures show how we used to do it. We've taken to pushing hook up so that bottom of hook rests on batten and touches lower slate, Flashing under and over still. I've attached the one photo I can find - not much help. If you install the roof hooks as per your photos, then if you stand on the rails, it can flex and break slate underneath or move flashing. We don't use lead - doesn't taste nice on your sandwiches. We use lead substitute, which is Aluminium with adhesive backing - thin, so can be slid under adjoining slates when required, and adhesive means it will never move. If trimming slates like we normally do, you end up with 3 versions of the same thing depending on where hook meets joins in slate, but principle is the same regardless. if paddlers option is cost effective, it's a lot simpler

forgot to say, buy your copper nails and strips from Roofing Supplies Ltd on-line, so much cheaper than local roofing suppliers.

slate1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Canoeboy said:
I said it first - and you give steps a scoop FFS !! 

I have a photo attached of the Wagner slate tile fixing
 Haha, I read Steps' post before yours sorry! 

Scoob for the pic!

Cheers for the help. 

GS

Am I missing a post here? 

How much are they?

Paddlers?

Cheers 

GS

so times 30 roof hooks that £210 + vat, labour and flashing is cheaper - getting close though. Most of these systems sem to come in around £8-10 which is why i haven't moved to them. I'm waiting on one at £5.... :pray

Please disregard my previous post about missing a post. I have caught up now. Must have been half asleep!

GS

Latest posts