Slow Windoze Vista, Searchindexer.exe

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Mrs PD has a laptop with Windoze Vista.

Yes I know, big mistake, but I'm not inclined to buy a new one, just yet.  It's been a rubbish lappy since it was new.

Anyway, most of the time it works tollerably (as long as you leave it half an hour after boot up to do all the stuff it thinks it has to do)

But once in a while, it virtually grinds to a halt, with the disk activity light stuck on, and the HDD chuntering away like a goodun.

If you have the patience to get windoze task manager up, and go into resource meter, you can see disk activity stuck at 100%

Expand the view, and it's several instances of searchindexer.exe hogging all the disk time.

Go away and leave it and it settles down again.

So the question is What exactly is SearchIndexer.exe?

I'm sure it's an MS program or utility, not malware as I first thought (Malwarebytes or CCleaner don't find anything wrong)

And what can I turn off to stop this dam SearchIndexer.exe hogging my machine?

Last edited by a moderator:
iirc you can turn the search indexer off and the machine will run much faster, from memory its purpose was to enable you to find files quicker when using search in file manager.

Clearly the problem is that it's only supposed to run in the background when the system is idling.  But the reality is sometimes, for whatever reason, it just takes over certainly hogging near 100% of the disk access time, making any other application at best run slow, at worst not at all.

Just another typical bug ridden Microsoft application then.

It will be interesting to see if this solves the issue. If so then sadly it could have been solved years ago, and we would never have been criticising this laptop as slow and under powered?

Why don't you try Ubuntu via a Live USB and see how she gets on with it (my missus hates Ubuntu I might add).............very resistive to change and trying new things. Yours might be a bit more open minded. Nothing lost. Once she sees how quick it is etc you might convert her!

Canoeboy said:
Put it simply to her

Go and buy a windows laptop yourself with windows on it and never bother me again with ANY windows or computer issues - This option is by far the best option
If I suggested that, then her answer would be take it to a computer shop and PAY someone to fix it.

I hate that 3 letter word.

Run msconfig.exe and look at what is in the boot list.

winkey+R then type msconfig.exe - hit enter.

Google each one and review if you need it, many can be disabled to reduce the amount of car being run. (Like anything from adobe.)

Then when you next reboot tell the popup not to tell you again.

If you later find something is not working you can alway re enable it using msconfig.

Latest posts