So we're not supposed to go to the pub

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far as i am concerned, the government should ban ALL alcohol sales NOW. Go to any hospital and see the amount of resources devoted to drunken idiots. I would act to end that tomorrow. i will be certainly suggesting it to the top brass..
That would be extremely unfair to the vast majority who enjoy an alcoholic drink responsibly whilst relaxing and would NEVER cause anyone distress or harm.  I do count myself in this group.

A more appropriate move at present would be simply put drunken trouble makers in a cell to sober up, rather than humouring them in hospital casualty departments  If you acted as you suggest those same alcoholics would still be demanding attention

It's my daughters birthday on Monday.

It's gone from a few friends for a sleepover, go and see a film at the cinema, 10 pin bowling, and a meal out. To just the 3 of us, a couple of dvd's at home and a home cooked birthday meal.

We bought the cake today at least.

It's going to be a strange year.

Well that’s put paid to my plans for Sunday. I’ve just come out of hospital and wanted to take my friend out for lunch as a thank you for calling the ambulance.  

Just be glad you are not in the hospital.. Trust me on that one.. just came from work a few seconds ago, 9-30pm....

john...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as i say, i just came in from work in the hospital a few seconds ago.. Things are MUCH worse than you think.. My area is one of the very worst in the country, cases have gone from 40 something to 90 odd in two days. The staff are frightened, trust me.. Hardly anything in the way of PPE..

FORGET the pub, if you did want to go to one, then you deserve to die of stupidity.. Please keep yourselves to yourselves as much as you can. get an FFP3 respirator if you can, that is what the NHS are supposed to have [if they had any..]

Things are getting out of control and fast...

john..

Sometimes things work out  ,  managed to buy three bottles of skimmed steralised  milk    , which we don't like .     Mate opposite bought three cartons of long life semi skimmed  that he doesn't like   , so in the great tradition of bartering  , we swapped .  

Things are getting out of control and fast.
Bloody hell!

A LOT of people are saying things like "Only 20 dead out of the whole country, what's the problem" and trying to carry on.

They are the ones that don't understand EXPONENTIAL GROWTH. and how that 20 very quickly becomes 200, then 2000, then 20,000, then 200,000 then 20,000,000 etc if we don't do something.

The news are trying to educate them, but just get branded as "scare mongering"

I think the last few years have "taught" the public not to trust a word that a politician says, and now, when you really really need to believe them, they think they are still telling lies.

There is a name for that; "Darwinism"

All through the 1970's and 1980's "Single" girls with a kid were automatically given a council house. This resulted in a growth explosion of retards. My mum was a school teacher for 44 years. She used to say that; "you would not believe how thick the average person is" Let them go to the pub, let them die, who gives a ****, not me.

Meanwhile, the NHS staff are absolutely heroic.. They should all have PPE, but there is none, or at least it is being held back. The one ward they have not even got alcohol hand cleaner. I have to watch what i say or i will get the sack, but the staff are frightened, but say; "we have a duty of care"

tango'd unbelievable heroic people, and treated like ****, and in a lot of cases, on **** money too..

All we have to do is to all stay home for a month, and that would be the end of it.. Most pubs and stuff were empty around here last night {apparently] but i have seen photos of some places that were packed.. Thanks Sprouts, hope you get what you deserve..

john..

or restaurants, or cinemas etc etc

BUT we can go to a crowded supermarket, and push a trolley or use a basket ANYBODY could have been touching ..........

Unless somebody is regularly cleaning the handles of these items, aren't these supermarkets just turning into super "spreaders"?

Yes, the virus can remain viable for up to 5 days on surfaces.. Disposable gloves and spray your tinned shopping with iso-propyl alcohol if you can. Shops have sold out but WE know that it is electrical cleaner you can get from RS and the like...

john...

they think they are still telling lies.

the public not to trust a word that a politician says, and now, when you really really need to believe them, they think they are still telling lies.
Trouble is  Dave they probably still are telling 'em  .     It becomes very difficult to believe them  .    There are also many things we are NOT told 

Yes, the virus can remain viable for up to 5 days on surfaces.. Disposable gloves and spray your tinned shopping with iso-propyl alcohol if you can. Shops have sold out but WE know that it is electrical cleaner you can get from RS and the like...

john...

Re the 5 day issue, I’ve been to collect our daughter from university. I took disposable gloves with me and wore them all the time I was in the student accommodation . Another dad saw me and did the same.

please help me with the rs cleaner !

As far as I know, the IPA is ineffective if used neat, needs to be a solution of 80% IPA to 20% water apparently or it doesn't get into viruses.

I think when the new tests they are pushing for to see if you have the antibodies for corona come around, then things will change. Could even be worthwhile getting very low risk volenteers into all the now dormant student halls, and allowing it to spread within but not letting it outside, then after a while you have a large group of people who have proven to have had it already. If most of us are going to get it at some stage and going to require 2 weeks away from the world (possibily more than once, if you get a cold and think you have it, then you actually get it), you might as well do it on your own terms, rather than randomly. Those at high risk to keep themselves away from the world separatly. Those that then have gained immunity will then be best placed to bring them groceries etc.

The dilution to around 70% is to stop the IPA evaporating before the virus is destroyed - takes about 10 seconds apparently and that mixture evaporates more slowly than 100% IPA while going weaker the mixtures don't attack it enough

Apparently soap and water is the best of all.. The thing with the hand cleaner, is it is just convenient i suppose. The stuff in the hospital dispensers leaves your hands feeling greasy though.. This cannot be a good thing, as apparently the virus is coated with grease and it is disrupting its greasy envelope that kills or disables it..

I was exposed to it yesterday... Not happy, i was lied to, or at least given reckless information.. Will just have to see what happens.. Meanwhile i will just have to stay home.. i have not felt right for a week though.. No fever or cough, just a continuous very mild sore throat and felt quite ill the first day.. Had a snotty nose for a few hours a few days ago but have felt quite ill today.. Wonder if i have had it?? I will get them to test me in work..

If i HAVE had it, once all the "symptoms" if you could call them that have gone, i will be able to go back and at least relieve some of the other staff of some of the riskier duties..

Strangest thing i have every had though.. Not a cold, as no sneezing or major funny nose. Not the 'Flu, as nowhere remotely ill enough.. No idea...

I asked the top brass in work the first day it started, but as i had no cough or fever they told me to carry on.. None of us go close to each other though, but the patients, you cannot help it..

john....

@apprentice87 Interesting insight. The noises I am hearing is the people who are getting sick, needing intestine treatment and dying are the ones you would expect - the elderly or those with existing medical conditions.

My current thinking is the best thing for me in my 30's and decent health, is to get the virus and get things over with. It sounds inevitable that the vast majority of us will get it. I'd rather life got back to normal. I just hope the pubs and other affected businesses manage to survive all this.

Latest posts