Solar advice... Complete novice

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lydanial

Reaction score
I'm really after some advice in terms of what I'm doing and what to look for.

I've had several quotes for the following requests.

12 panels, 5kw inverter and around 10kw batteries.

Quotes range from 9500-15000 but here are my questions.

What minimum wattage are tier 1 panels?
Should I get the same brand inverter and battery as a couple of quotes are mixing the two.

What brands are good for inverter as quotes include.
Sunsynk, givenergy, fox, luxin

What brands are good for batteries
Sunsynk, givenergy, fox, pylontech, greenlinx.

Can I get the power sent from the house to a detached garage?
If not is it wise to put the inverter and battery in the loft?
Should I request under stair cupboard instead (it's obviously cooler although I'm not sure how much heat it's given off from inverter and batteries).

What things should I look out for with the company before choosing?
What accreditations should I ensure they have?

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I do this right first time around?

I'm really after some advice in terms of what I'm doing and what to look for.

I've had several quotes for the following requests.

12 panels, 5kw inverter and around 10kw batteries.
sounds good.
Quotes range from 9500-15000 but here are my questions.
beware double glazing sales tactics...

What minimum wattage are tier 1 panels?

Tier 1 is more about stock market investors, ie a company regarded as tier 1 generally is large and knocks out lots of panels, so a good propsect for building solar farms. It in no way makes them a better panel than another make. It means little to you as a domestic customer.
Should I get the same brand inverter and battery as a couple of quotes are mixing the two.
Mix and match is normal.

What brands are good for inverter as quotes include.
Sunsynk, givenergy, fox, luxin

of those Fox is my choice.
What brands are good for batteries
Sunsynk, givenergy, fox, pylontech, greenlinx.

Fox actually use rebadged pylontech batteries, and pylontech are pretty sound.
Can I get the power sent from the house to a detached garage?
you can, but we would need to know more, like how far away is the garage.

If not is it wise to put the inverter and battery in the loft?
better avoided if possible
Should I request under stair cupboard instead (it's obviously cooler although I'm not sure how much heat it's given off from inverter and batteries).
worse than the loft unless the cupbaord is huge and well ventilated.

What things should I look out for with the company before choosing?

always look for customer reviews, and not on their website.
What accreditations should I ensure they have?
MCS minimum.

Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I do this right first time around?
No problem, have a good read of the solar section on here, apart from a cure for insomnia, there's loads of info covering every aspect of solar work.

Thank you very much for breaking it all down...

I spent several hours the other night reading posts to try and get to grips with everything....

There's a couple companies trying to push the 3.6 inverter. Am I right in thinking I should go 5 anyway?
My understanding (and I'll probably wrong).
1, it limits export
2, if we're using tons at home, kettle, toaster, ac, showers, oven, you know, big hitting stuff then the 3.6 can only pull 3.6 from the battery and panel forcing the rest to be pulled from the grid (this is the one where I think I've completely misunderstood)

Last edited:
Thank you very much for breaking it all down...

I spent several hours the other night reading posts to try and get to grips with everything....

There's a couple companies trying to push the 3.6 inverter. Am I right in thinking I should go 5 anyway?
My understanding (and I'll probably wrong).
1, it limits export
2, if we're using tons at home, kettle, toaster, ac, showers, oven, you know, big hitting stuff then the 3.6 can only pull 3.6 from the battery and panel forcing the rest to be pulled from the grid (this is the one where I think I've completely misunderstood)
3.6kw just makes the paperwork easier for the installer, G98 application which the DNO can't refuse as oppossed to a G99 or G100 application which they can quibble if they want to (NB I never had any problems with those). So yes bigger is better as it will run more peak loads and appliances at the same time.

3.6kw just makes the paperwork easier for the installer, G98 application which the DNO can't refuse as oppossed to a G99 or G100 application which they can quibble if they want to (NB I never had any problems with those). So yes bigger is better as it will run more peak loads and appliances at the same time.
Hi Binky...

I've now received a g98 from my installer and they say they've applied for g99.

Can I setup with octopus as g98 and then 'upgrade' to g99 with them or am I better off just waiting it out for the g99.

Also... Can they actually apply for a g99 having applied for a g98 on the same system?
I'm told it's a hybrid inverter which has two settings so effectively setting one 3.6 and gr8, setting two 5 and g99.

Thanks

HI, your on an interesting journey, research as you are, lots of it.

Hybrid vs AC grid attached, value exists to both, you need to think about priorities.

Inverters I only comment on what I have tested, so far Sunsynk, some issues with support but if using an installer you should be ok, do I recommend yes, tips, oversize the unit so if %K get the if you can, lots of reasons for that but also depends on your location and ability to fit the solar e.g. roof, flat roof, metal roof, garden ect.

Is a hybrid or any typ of inverter a DIY project no for most unless "competent qualified" shop around for installers.

MCS approved no I do not agree with others on that, a good competent qualified electrician can deal with Solar although asking about the understanding of AC and DC is a must.
Many installers are favoring AC systems only something personally I do not recommend unless a budget, finance or no choice.

Octopus Energy just simplified and deregulated MCS if you want to feed in so any competent electrician can do this, MCS is sadly dead.

AC coupled not a hybrid systems can lose upto 10% of power.
Hybrid are often more costly overall but in my opinion more flexible.

Decide on what you intend to achieve, so many seem to be pushing finance and a mix of panels that dont add up, check that maths, check it again!

Panels:
I use JA solar the most recent models, there excellent.

Microinverters, not for me however if any shading fit optimizer's, contrary to a lot of miss information they work very well, I have 20 and will be selling them, TIgo TS4 and attached kit, opinion will vary however most have not fitted 20 :) to 20 panels.

As your doing, more research and for what its worth I hope something I have said helps.

My final thought AC only even with a battery inverter, maybe for a budget or to do something but cant see the maths adding up, but we will see more and more being installed with spec and maths that simply dont work.

Hi Binky...

I've now received a g98 from my installer and they say they've applied for g99.

Can I setup with octopus as g98 and then 'upgrade' to g99 with them or am I better off just waiting it out for the g99.

Also... Can they actually apply for a g99 having applied for a g98 on the same system?
I'm told it's a hybrid inverter which has two settings so effectively setting one 3.6 and gr8, setting two 5 and g99.

Thanks
I've never dealt with octopus so no idea, but I would guess it makes no difference and they would want to see MCS cert if anything not DNO paperwork

Octopus has changed the rules.

No MCS required.
If you have one ideal.
Otherwise one can self certify.

There are some intersting videos on the subject on YouTube.

Personally I think this is good news as Electricians competent qualified people should not require MCS certification, it was a good idea at the time but no longer works.as a regulatory system.