Which hybrid inverter for installation by an not MCS certified electrician which works with octopus agile?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not embarrassed at being an old git LOL, seen lots, done lots and laugh at what some youngsters miss out on compared to my day!
I like laughing at some of the daft ideas young people have, but I doubt I was any better when I was young 😃.

At least my son and his friends do listen to our old age experience - I was explaining the joys of a company pension to one of them today. They really should teach more about personal finances at school, because clearly many adults have no idea either 🤦‍♀️

I like laughing at some of the daft ideas young people have, but I doubt I was any better when I was young 😃.
I was thinking more in terms of playing out around our village, two bob to get fish and chips and bottle of pop, home for bedtime by 8 oclock. Social skills are no longer there, practical skills of building a soapbox racer etc. Not like that any more.

At least my son and his friends do listen to our old age experience - I was explaining the joys of a company pension to one of them today.
Clearly some of your wisdom has/is rubbing off on them.

They really should teach more about personal finances at school, because clearly many adults have no idea either 🤦‍♀️
In our local academy, kids were taught what benefits they were entitled to and how to claim them. It's soooooo WRONG.

In our local academy, kids were taught what benefits they were entitled to and how to claim them. It's soooooo WRONG.
They don't need teaching that, how to milk the system is something they seem to know, along with the odds for the bookies, and scoring darts .

It always made me laugh how many people I used to know claimed they didn't like maths but could tell you the odds on Red Rum as a five part accumulator, whatever one of those is 😃

It's fair to say I have been economical with the truth in regards to benefits a long time ago. Sometimes you just need a few extra quid to get ahead, but I've well and truly paid that back many many times over. So it's probably not as bad as it sounds, plus it's something they can relate to, so they are more likely to learn. I'm a great believer that half the problem is the benefits trap. It's why I prefer the idea of a universal wage ( I forget the term they use for that) . Give people a stable platform and they can focus on how to improve their lives through working instead of worrying about the roof over their head.

Bloody hell, I unleashed a can of worms there.

I have a 4 year old, and I agree with everything both of you said.

I'm determined that he's going to be practical.

Bloody hell, I unleashed a can of worms there.

I have a 4 year old, and I agree with everything both of you said.

I'm determined that he's going to be practical.
my boy is 26 and bigger than me now :D

We did 2 things with him, most important was teach him to be confident. Simple stuff, like at age 6 or 7 if we were in a cafe and he wanted something like another bit of cake or ice cream, we gave him some money and told him to go to the counter himself. We also taught him to be polite, which always goes down well with adults - I'm convinced some of the staff used to give him bigger ice creams than if I had gone to get it.

I also used to teach him basic maths and english, like many boys he was never very keen on writing, but his maths is excellent, far better than mine and he ended up with a degree in maths which has in turn landed him a vey well paid job. He's not bad with hands on stuff, he used to help me out during school holidays when he was older, so lernt a lot from that.

One thing I would say, try to avoid any toys with batteries or screens, very hard these days, but they interact more with 'manual toys' and I think it improves their imagnation.

When I worked in a local academy as Network Manager I used to issue detentions for brats that tried to break the system or not follow the rules, 1200 hackers are an absolute pain but keep you on your toes. One student she was absolutely nothing but trouble everywhere in every subject, during one of my detentions they I made stand on a coloured carpet tile on the floor so they nothing lean against etc and I made them chant the times tables one two is two, two two's are four etc.
Fast forward 6 years, in my local chippy the said girl was working behind the counter. I got a very friendly 'hello sir, how are you, do you remember me?" Of course I did, she went tell me she was married with 3 kids and everybody and chippy thought she's brilliant because she didn't a calculator, could do the times tables etc and said it was all thanks to me LOL. Her oldest children she proudly told me knew their tables up to 12 x. My work there was done :)

John, that's really funny, but also very sad, but that girl was clearly destined to end up as she did.

Binky, I like your sentiment. I too value education, politeness, and to a huge degree, social skills, to which confidence goes hand in hand.

We get our wee man to put our order in at the counter when we can, which he gladly does.

Me and the Mrs read to him all the time, so he has an incredible imagination, and can play with absolutely anything and make a huge scenario out of it. We are very lucky, because as well as being able to play independently, he's also incredibly sociable and plays really well with others, although he's a little rough at times.

My idea is to enroll him in every club/activity going, to increase his still set, his social ability, his confidence, and broaden his potential pool of friends. Less time to get upto mischief too. Lol.

I do not want him sat in playing computer games, but I also don't want him loitering on a street corner smoking weed.

Poor kid.

Basically, you asked for a hybrid, and you have a few people here that have installed a hybrid and then ripped them out and gone with individule inverter and mppts, hybrids are good value for money if you can get the spec you want, as I've found, as has John, we both had 6kw growatts but what you find after installing is during the winter in particular, you are pulling power from the battery most the time, you turn on a 3kw kettle and that fully saturates the inverter, so it has 6kw of mppt inverter ability, but only 3kw of battery charger / discharger which means all the rest of the power is coming from the grid at peak time, so your cost savings are not as much as you think. Then you replace with something better like a victron, which costs more, but also should last longer. So really, the victron is cheeper over the life time of the equipment. But the hybrid is cheeper up front.
If you want to save a few quid, buy a multiples 5000 48v to go with these pylontechs, and get a raspberry pi running the Venus os, saves buying the cerbo, then for solar inverters, a cheep £2-300 ppt tracker grid tied will do the job. You will have a modular upgradeable system for similar price.

Yeh my 6kw inverter only has a max battery charge/discharge rate of 4.8kw, but as I have two of them, I have 9.6kw Max discharge, so that covers all my current (pardon the pun) needs.

Thread locked to prevent being hi-jacked (again)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts