Solar design help

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Decmorgan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm after some design advice for a solar system I'm putting together. I work in the electrical trade (wholesaler) so have a decent knowledge of solar, but would like some reassurance.

I'm looking at an 8kw system, 12 x 325w JA panels and 10 x 400w trina. Each on opposite sides of the house. 7900W total. (Getting western power approval).

I'm looking at a fox 6kw hybrid inverter with 11kw batteries. Fox seems the best available product at the moment and the batteries have a 6kw discharge peak and seems better kit than Givenergy which is the next best available brand. The Fox batteries can also be scaled in 2kw increments if the above capacity is not enough.

Fox 6kw inverter max power is 7800W so I'm 100W over. My question is this OK? Is 100W over safe and will I lose much output in peak conditions? I've spoken to a supplier and you can't use two Fox hybrid inverters in parallel one for either side of the house, this would be ideal and it's the same with givenergy. 7kw/8kw hybrid inverters seem to be pretty uncommon.

Has anyone got any advice for me? Willing to look at other setups and options if there's a better way of doing it. My annual usage is 5700kwh. Looking at octopus go as a tariff. No EV charger and no hot water controller.

I've had one suggestion of using a a string inverter on one side and hybrid the other side. But surely I will lose out as only one inverter can charge the batteries.

If I have a large battery setup is it more likely the DNO will approve the application and how often do they approve systems of this size or push back and limit the size of system?

Don't overpower the inverter, it won't like it even if it only happens once a year. I'm fairly sure you can get a single phase 7kw inverter, not sure if Fox do one or Solis. Failing that lose a panel. Solis work with the same batteries as Fox, which are rebadged pylontech batteries

The biggest solis inverter is 6kw with oversizing to 7kw. They do 7kw but it's string only not hybrid.

I didn't know that about fox/pylontech? Where did you hear that?

The biggest solis inverter is 6kw with oversizing to 7kw. They do 7kw but it's string only not hybrid.

I didn't know that about fox/pylontech? Where did you hear that?
Didn't hear it, I know it. Look at the batteries and you will see they are identical bar the label. Fox used to supply pylontech.

Hi all,

I'm after some design advice for a solar system I'm putting together. I work in the electrical trade (wholesaler) so have a decent knowledge of solar, but would like some reassurance.

I'm looking at an 8kw system, 12 x 325w JA panels and 10 x 400w trina. Each on opposite sides of the house. 7900W total. (Getting western power approval).

I'm looking at a fox 6kw hybrid inverter with 11kw batteries. Fox seems the best available product at the moment and the batteries have a 6kw discharge peak and seems better kit than Givenergy which is the next best available brand. The Fox batteries can also be scaled in 2kw increments if the above capacity is not enough.

Fox 6kw inverter max power is 7800W so I'm 100W over. My question is this OK? Is 100W over safe and will I lose much output in peak conditions? I've spoken to a supplier and you can't use two Fox hybrid inverters in parallel one for either side of the house, this would be ideal and it's the same with givenergy. 7kw/8kw hybrid inverters seem to be pretty uncommon.

Has anyone got any advice for me? Willing to look at other setups and options if there's a better way of doing it. My annual usage is 5700kwh. Looking at octopus go as a tariff. No EV charger and no hot water controller.

I've had one suggestion of using a a string inverter on one side and hybrid the other side. But surely I will lose out as only one inverter can charge the batteries.

If I have a large battery setup is it more likely the DNO will approve the application and how often do they approve systems of this size or push back and limit the size of system?
Hi all,

First, I didn't know you could have different makes of panel like that. Second, get Solaredge with optimisers. Third, if it is an ac side battery rememeber the dno have to approve that also. Third, get the HELL on to Octopus as your provider and get outgoing agile as your SEG tarrif pronto - look up the outgoing rates and you will see why (for outgoing agile, not fixed). I don't think you have to worry about the oversizing as the inverter will only do what it ought. It just means you will 'clip' more and produce more electricity at lower levels of sun.

Latest posts