Solar

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
hello iam about to put six panels on roof 2 carats of 3 I will be running dc cable to out building built to store solax hybrid 3.0 g4 inverter and 5.78 battery
Easy pv recommend 10 mm cable at 0.95 told drop
the cable will be 10 meters under ground in ducting and 5 meters up wall in 40 mm ducting to soffit eaves into loft the rest is outbuilding and connecting in loft
Would it be better to use 16 mm ad a safe option
ant thoughts
 Thanks

No harm in running a larger cable, it will make the system marginally more efficient.

Are you sure 3 panels is enough to meet minimum voltage for MPPT to start up?

I spoke to easy pv which i designed the system off
They recommended to connect the six panel together for initial start up even that it works with 2 sets of 3 panels
Thanks for your help

Hello
This is my first solar install
I am looking for some advice as to correct way connecting inverter to house consumer unit
Bi directional rcd now have to be installed as per new regulation
As i have to put my inverter and battery externally in a purpose built storage unit
Will the bi directional rcbo need to be at consumer side or would it be better at inverter side with mcb breaker at consumer unit in house or just bi directional to ac isolator from consumer unit in house to inverter
i will be running cable from consumer unit to inverter in swa under ground this would need to be rcd protected

Any advice appreciated

Thanks
Its the new 3rd amendment coming out soon
The key change introduced by 3rd amendment for bi directional on all generating sets including solar pv after 1 month consultation it will become effective immediately
Just watched a you tube podcast with iet on board explaining it
looks like they are going to update battery storage again new book
They are definitely pushing that generation sets will have to have their own consumer units connected v henley block so not connected to main consumer unit
This industry is going crazy with all these changes coming every house hold new will needs its own dedicated plant room soon its crazy
Best regards

Another amendment, glad I've retired 😃.

It was always my preference not to have any RCD on solar systems, justifiable if your cable runs allowed, as a fixed piece of equipment. Plus inverters gave all sorts of protective devices built in anyway. Installing separate mini board makes sense with increased loadings from PV, batteries and EV chargers.

If they want us to tap into meter tails to install Henley blocks, are they going to allow us to pull the main fuse to work safely??? 😀

If they want us to tap into meter tails to install Henley blocks, are they going to allow us to pull the main fuse to work safely??? 😀

At least a 1Kg bag of "Seal-Fairy-Dust" has not gone up at the same rate as Gas/Electric/Food/Rates/Water/Fuel.... etc... etc...
or so it is alleged by some electricians.......??

Of course I wouldn't know.. just commenting on gossip & here-say! :p:oops::cool:

Latest posts