Solis 3kW AC coupled Inverter & Fogstar 5.12kWh Rack Battery ?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The middle one would be the better option, our ones at work are very close to the WiFi access point, probably why they don't have an issue.

By the time theyve fitted the socket to the inverter, made the case for the logger etc for the cost they could have built it into the inverter as standard.
Solis are a little unusual in that respect. Each dongle has a unique ID, rather than the inverter, so it's the dongle that links to the portal, which is quite handy if you ever have an inverter failure as it menas you don't have to relink it to the portal.

By the time theyve fitted the socket to the inverter, made the case for the logger etc for the cost they could have built it into the inverter as standard.
It seems the company that made these also do so for other manufacturers & white labeled by Ginlong (solis) https://www.solarmanpv.com/products/data-logger/stick-logger/
But now they will be made by Ginlong themselves (I suspect under license). Every logger works with every inverter except the new S6 range which have a USB port instead of the 4 pin plug.
Why develope your own when you can copy anothers kit.

Solis are a little unusual in that respect. Each dongle has a unique ID, rather than the inverter, so it's the dongle that links to the portal, which is quite handy if you ever have an inverter failure as it menas you don't have to relink it to the portal.
So you write the software so you can input a MAC Address into the inverter, job done. It all seems bolt on for the sake of it when it can all be easily and cheaply be included.

The Inverter already has its own wifi stick, I have no idea yet what functions are available by connecting to it? edit: I think its for Techview app

that's great if you know how to write software, I never got past Basic on a ZX81
ZX Spectrum is where my programming skills were born back in the day, used to write machine code on that, basically added lots of extra stuff to BASIC, modified a few games etc. I struggle today though, but have still dabbled a bit over the years but it requires copious amounts of Googling whatever the language.

Oldman22, Have you got your rack from Fogstar yet? I'm thinking of buying same thing, it seems to tick every box appears to have top quality parts in, but it's very a new design. There could be teething issues? It's got to run a long time 100% reliably before it starts to save any money!

I've got it, had it a few days but its still all boxed up while I check if I can use it with my Inverter without voiding my warranty.
Yes its very new and with no other feedback I could become a testbed & that I don't need. Looks to be ideal for what I need, I hope...

I've got it, had it a few days but its still all boxed up while I check if I can use it with my Inverter without voiding my warranty.
Yes its very new and with no other feedback I could become a testbed & that I don't need. Looks to be ideal for what I need, I hope...
ok. not so good then. I heard they they a making a 15kwh single unit now too, I assume with 304Ah cells in.

I heard they they a making a 15kwh single unit now too, I assume with 304Ah cells in.
Surly thats not practical as a single unit it would weigh 135kg.
Dont you mean a rack with 3 x 5kWh batteries in?

1678440991408.png

I did think 80kg of batteries would be a challenge! It's got 280Ah cells in according to them. So 14khw. No cabinet required just very strong arms!
Do you have a link? Oh they are taking pre orders for the next shipment now.

I did think 80kg of batteries would be a challenge! It's got 280Ah cells in according to them. So 14khw. No cabinet required just very strong arms!
I made my own battery from 16 of their 280A EVE cells, it's split down into 4 modules of 4 batteries and they're heavy enough to lift into place, in my humble opinion, 16 batteries in one housing would be unmanageable.

For one person, yes, but two people, maybe manageable, also depends how high you need to lift it. They've sold plenty of Seplos 280 kits, and they are intended to be stacked, it would be a right pain if you had several stacked and needed to get access to the bottom one though.

By my calculations, my 16 cell drawer weighs about 100kg, I built it on the drawer though.

Latest posts