Standby for more red tape.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evans Electric

TEF LINUX ADMIN™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CEST is heading this way from HMRC .

Firms are being asked to check the employment status of their sub-contractors  using it's CEST tool  .   This stands for Check Employment Status for Tax .  

CEST claims to allow companies to see whether an operative  should be classed as employed or self employed  with a view  to moving them from CIS to PAYE  for tax purposes. 

The article I read  ( ECN)  says it could be disastrous for a small firm finding them selves facing a huge bill for unpaid tax and National Insurance. 

Oh well that 'll close down a few more firms .  

Are you serious the number of people registered, it’s a no wonder that nothing is ever agreed!! We had classroom sizes of 28-30 persons and we could never get an agreed outcome. What a waste of taxpayers money that lot are, reduce the numbers get some meaningful decisions and they wouldn’t need to worry about my tax. 

This raised it's head years ago in the pre CIS  , 714 days .   One or two small builders I remember panicking and taking some of their guys onto the books .  We did a swap with  another contractor for a short period , four of our subbies did a few weeks for them and vice versa.........  then it was all forgotten. 

ahhh the joys of committees.... Tis why I like being my own boss, what needs doing? This. do it then!  :^O
WHATTTTT!!!!!    You can't do that these days Binky  , you have to create a Method Statement ,   do a Risk Assessment  , have a committee meeting  and write out an instruction for someone to get it sorted ..   You can't just see something that needs doing and do it yourself !!!!!  

CEST is heading this way from HMRC .

Firms are being asked to check the employment status of their sub-contractors  using it's CEST tool  .   This stands for Check Employment Status for Tax .  

CEST claims to allow companies to see whether an operative  should be classed as employed or self employed  with a view  to moving them from CIS to PAYE  for tax purposes. 

The article I read  ( ECN)  says it could be disastrous for a small firm finding them selves facing a huge bill for unpaid tax and National Insurance. 

Oh well that 'll close down a few more firms .  

So any firms already doing this are actively operating INCEST? But I suppose that is mostly the smaller close family run businesses. 

Doc H.

Are you serious the number of people registered, it’s a no wonder that nothing is ever agreed!! We had classroom sizes of 28-30 persons and we could never get an agreed outcome. What a waste of taxpayers money that lot are, reduce the numbers get some meaningful decisions and they wouldn’t need to worry about my tax. 

The list only referred to MP's

So don't forget :

Local Councillors

County Councillors

if in NI, Wales or Scotland - all the people and costs and local representatives of the devolved administration

and then there are the 

EU

and the MEP's

so many noses in the crowded trough !

Well, i think it is a good thing... Why should workers who are really "employed", be forced to claim otherwise, so that some Tomatoe'd can avoid paying the employers national insurance, holiday pay etc. It is the worker who is the loser, not the employer..

No idea what the inland revenue are on about though, these firms know full well is someone is genuinely self employed or not, they do not need a "tool" to tell them..

john..

I'd say the HMRC want to get their hands on that big chunk of NI  they're missing out on ,  we only pay £2  odd a week  which covers our state pension  only  .   We are however , not entitled to any benefits  should we  have no work .  

What I've seen of this is a small builder  ...Kitchen fitting firm or electricians  pull a  self employed guy  in to help cover  holidays...illness ...back log of work  etc  .  They realise he's  a good tradesman  and use him more & more  until , yes , he's  with them nearly all the time  .     They become one of his customers  ...his main customer,  But what the  establishment don't like  is the small man , the working man , getting on  .  

But he's no different to , say ,  a huge car plant using a small building firm to do regular  building  maintenance jobs ,  where they often have someone at the plant all the time .      Happens all the time  so why don't they say  the plant must employ them ?  

But when its a one man band they seem to think its different somehow .

Is it like saying ,  ah this Ford dealership only buys Ford cars from Ford  so Ford should employ them directly as they don't deal with anyone else .  ?  

What if the Ford dealership used me to do electrical work at a local  branch ...then  asked me to look after all the branches in the Midlands ...then asked me to look after  all the branches in the country   .  They don't employ electricians , they sell cars  so they use a contractor ..........do HMRC start thinking  they  should employ me  because I'm working for Ford all the time  .  Well no they don't  because Ford are not a construction company .

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is, is that you as a genuinely self employed person, can choose whether to do the work or not, you provide your own equipment, you set your own price terms and conditions, you can also get someone else in to do the work instead if you feel like it, but the main thing the HMRC use to judge who is what, is that if you make a courgette up, you have to sort it out at your own expense, AND, you are liable to make a loss if things do not go as planned..

john..