STEPTOE - RE: Isle of Man TT Races and Red Flag

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1

Forum Founder
Reaction score
Steptoe,

I was watching the highlights of the TT races on ITV4+1 on Thursday last up my Sisters and BILs house...

There was one where a rider (Guy Martin) complained to the commentator of seeing a marshall holding up a red flag (Thursday June 9th 2011).

This was backed up by another Rider (I think he was the actual winner of that race).

But there, apparently, was nothing wrong which would warrent a red flag.

Besides, there is enough camera coverage, surely it would have been picked up by a camera on the ground, in the air or on the bike?

I know that there was no appeal lodged against it, but what happened?

And as for the chap that was in 1st place all the way around, only to have to stop with less than a mile from the finish line due to mechanical problems (gearbox?) that was gutting. I really felt for him. :(

And this is coming from someone who can't stand motorbikes or motorbike racing.

(I did watch a little last year too).

I also enjoyed the "John McGuinness" race win too. :)

I fancied some peace and quiet so I left the Isle of Man, spent most of the TT race week on holiday in my hometown in Wales then spent a few days at Alton Towers. I too followed the action on ITV4 :) .

Admin, this is one of the main reasons I stopped marshalling at the TT,

there was a red flag out, it was even mentioned on the twitter feed, which I was following at work,

nothing will happen cos the marshalls have a clique and will back each other up that they didnt put one out,

and there will be 'no' TV at that particular point.

a few years back I was marshalling at the camp site at Hillberry when a sidecar had a big off at about 130mph,

we had a totally new guy there that had never marshalled before and the flag marshall told him to red flag the race,

note: ONLY RACE CONTROL HAS THIS AUTHORITY TO AUTHORISE A RED FLAG

when push came to shove she(the marshal that told the red flag to be put out denied everything and the new guy felt like sh**,

me and my buddy stated that we heard her shout to red flag the race but we were ignored,

that marshall is now a deputy(maybe now even head?) sector marshall,!

BL**DY disgusting !

seems that Cam Donald(the guy broke down within a mile) ran out of fuel,

they wont admit that as it would be a silly mistake, or they will blame a faulty sensor pumping too much fuel.

glad you enjoyed watching it,

as for you revvedup, Wet Fish

my mate got a 4th at the post TT race yesterday :D

and only 10weeks til the Manx Grand Prix :D

Having said that Steps,

The guy who clapped out within a mile of the finish...

What you say would make sense, because there was no clinking and clonking which you hear from a naffed gearbox. His bike was quiet and ground slowly to a halt.

Gravity fed fuel pumps. (to fuel the bikes).

What do they do then? A lap per tank full? (I know it depends on speed etc), but just a rough guide.

electric fuel pumps,

the 400cc bike we run at the MGP (same course) runs a pump off a 600cc road bike pushing the fuel into carbs,

the big bikes use about 8 or 9 litres a lap (fuel injection) 37&3/4 miles, you can remap them to use less, but at the expense of power.

a tank typically holds 16-18 litres as standard, but you can blow them out with compressed air, there is a maximum capacity you are allowed tho, dependant on class, our 400cc bike holds 16.5 litres IIRC, and has in the region of 1 litre left after 2 laps.

Is there any TV coverage of the Manx GP?. Watched the TT on ITV4 and it was good, pity about the weather at times but it strange to see the riders now ganging up on the club running the race. In the past it seemed it was a bit of a tactic to rumour about not going out due to the conditions to unnerve the oppostion then last minute getting out there. The race is dangerous and I certainly don't want to see anyone hurt but if its damp it damp, you ride as hard as you think safe.

should be Andy, not as much as the TT though,

I think the Dunlop brothers proved the point as they just simply blew everyone away,

Ryan Farqhuar would have been on the pace with them too I woulda thought if he had been out,

as the commentators rightly said, those guys race in them sort of conditions all the time,

the throttle goes both ways, and its all about being smooth.

must add though, I was, and still am, even more rubbish slow in the wet, or even damp, than the dry.!

there has been a bit of an issue since the ACU/FIM took control of the racing though a couple of years ago,

when the decision was made to run the race they should have held to it and NOT bowed to pressure from the big players to red flag it, all they had to do was look at Michael & William's times and track position to see it was still viable,

but then again, they dont ride for big factory backed outfits so they have little or no sway on proceedings,

wouldnt look good for the little back street garage guys beating the 'full blown' works offerings from honda,yamaha,suzuki et al. would it.?

I liked watching the guys in the sidecars
they are MAD,

I chaired once on a short circuit, (a normal race, not on roads), and it was totally mindblowing!!!!!!!

something else altogether, remember too, these 'only' have a 600cc engine in them, so its like a 130 ++ BHP reliant robin!!!!!!!! :slap

BTW admin, just had a mate(that races the Manx) on the phone, and he thinks the big bikes (1000cc) at the TT are allowed something like a 24litre tank, and will be burning upwards of 11litres per 37&3/4mile lap!!! its the 750s (at the MGP) that are much smaller tanks.

and how close do they get to hitting those curbs? crazy!! but still looks good fun

I used to think they were boring,

then about 20ish years ago was watching the ulster grand prix at the bottom of deers leap in the rain when these guys came out and just sat sideways when they met the corner,

WOW

talk about gobsmacked,

raised my admiration for them totally through the roof.!!!

total total belief in each other for the trust they have,

solo riders believe in each other to stay safe too, but these guys have the utmost by literally putting their lives in each others hands, one slight mistake from either and , well it doesnt bear thinking about.

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:16 ----------

You gonna be live at the Manx Steps ?Is herc going ?
yep, just been trying to sort finances for both weeks this year, might just be able to do it, fingers crossed. :)

no, Herc doesnt like the noise, plus he is scared I'll leave him at 'Richmond Hill'

Canoe,

deffo let me know if you are going buddy,

you may not get to meet any record breakers,

but you get to meet me :D

and as if that wasnt enough I may even get you a beer. !

Latest posts