Summerhouse Wiring

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ564

Reaction score
Hello,

Firstly, I'm not an electrician by trade but I am after advice on a potentially tricky install.

A little background..... I have a 6' diameter portable hot tub made by mSpa (similar idea to Lay Z Spa) which, for the past 5 years, I have plugged into an RCD protected waterproof outside socket by the patio. So far so good! For information, the data label for the hot tub quotes a maximum current of 10A.

Now to the problem.... I recently built a 12' x 10' wooden summerhouse with the intention of using half of it for the portable hot tub and the other half as a sort of conservatory. I am trying to get an electrical supply installed.

My thoughts (based on the little bit I know) were to run an SWA cable (approx 40m) from a dedicated MCB on the house consumer unit to a separate RCD protected garage style consumer unit in the summer house positioned at the top of the wall above where the hot tub will be.

I was thinking of having a 16A MCB feeding a single waterproof socket mounted next to the consumer unit to plug the hot tub into.

I was also going to have a second 16A MCB feeding a radial circuit to supply two double sockets in the conservatory part for a small 1.5Kw oil filled radiator, table lamp and a radio.

The problem I'm having is, because of mentioning the portable hot tub, of the electricians I've asked to quote so far, I can't get any clear guidance on what regs apply and what is or isn't permissible to install. It's even been suggested it should be regarded as a bathroom!

I now don't know whether all the sockets, if allowed, should be of the waterproof type or not, whether a consumer unit should be installed in the summer house because of steam/condensation, where the consumer unit should be located, what size trip should be fitted in the house consumer unit to supply it or what size SWA cable would be needed.

All I want is to get a tested and certified supply to my summerhouse but with so much differing opinion, I don't know who to trust!

Any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

its not a bathroom because it doesnt contain a shower or a bath. it may come under swimming pools though, which have some specific regulations for the area around it. but for the best part, all wiring will be done as it normally would be.

Hum.. too many variables for my liking - best you get another local competent spark to come and look and quote you.

This work falls under Part P too!

"All I want is to get a tested and certified supply to my summerhouse but with so much differing opinion, I don't know who to trust!" - I think your problem here is that you want somebody else to spec this for you and you to do the work later - good luck with that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that I suspect it is classed as a pool and not a bathroom.

This scenario is clearly detailed in BS7671 and any decent electrician should be able to understand what is required.

You have gone into quite some detail about what you think but could you post what the sparks were suggesting so we can gauge the best advice to take?

realistically in a room 12' x 10', a 6' "portable" tub is unlikely to be very portable, so I would consider it a basin and refer to 702.

The floor plan and position of the tub within that floor plan is also critical due to minimum distances permissible for socket outlets and proximity to pools and basins. This work will require an electrical installation certificate and a Building regulation compliance certificate. And someone to sign to accept liability for the design, installation, testing and notification of the works. If you are not going to be the person signing the relevant paperwork then there isn't much need for you to worry about the precise design specification.

Doc H.

Just reading electricians guide to the building regs and it is listed in there that hot tubs fall under 702 of bs7671

My word, someone is out to get you - why would they de-scoob that. As soon as I get my 10 posts minimum I'll give you a scoob.
Here is a scoob from me.

A few on here hide behind the fact that they cannot be seen when the de-scoob.

I think the whole rating system is a bit childish to be honest. I agree that posts that are helpful or funny should be shown appreciation (in the form of scoobs) but the idea of de-scoobing someone is something I would only expect to see on the playground. It turns the 'appreciation/thanks system' into nothing more than a popularity contest.

</rant> Apologies for hijacking the thread somewhat.

I think the whole rating system is a bit childish to be honest. I agree that posts that are helpful or funny should be shown appreciation (in the form of scoobs) but the idea of de-scoobing someone is something I would only expect to see on the playground. It turns the 'appreciation/thanks system' into nothing more than a popularity contest.

</rant> Apologies for hijacking the thread somewhat.
What ever you do don’t go on an international board I’m on, they vote on “good answers”

2 votes “for” = 1 point. 20 may agree with you, but it’s still only 1 point. 19 disagree and 20-19= no scooby snack.