Swa 25Mm/20Mm Gland Reducer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

padawan

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title suggests i am trying to find a SWA brasss gland reducer, to connect a 20mm CW gland to a 25mm threaded plastic enclosure knockout.

I am running a 3 core 6mm SWA, between 2 whiska 40a adaptable boxes. These ones to precise:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WK607B.html

I plan to earth the armour using the whisk earth plates, like these:

http://cpc.farnell.com/wiska/ec607/combi-ec607-earthing-plate/dp/PL13437?CMP=CPC-PLA

The problem i have got is that 3 core 6mm SWA use 20mm glands, and the threaded entries into the whiska box are all 25mm. The whiska boxes are supplied with 25mm/20mm reducers but they are plastic, which obviously would mean that i loose continuity between the gland and the enclosure's earth plate.

It seems the best fix for this would be to use 25mm/20mm brass reducers, but i can't for the life of me find them anywhere. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction please, where i could find some brass reducers.

Or am i missing something here and going about it all wrong?

Thanks

Part no BCA 1312 from neweys. Couple of quid each, got a Newlec outlet beside me which is part of the neweys group if you want me to go in and get you some but you should be able to get them over internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Part no BCA 1312 from neweys. Couple of quid each, got a Newlec outlet beside me which is part of the neweys group if you want me to go in and get you some but you should be able to get them over internet.

Cheers mate that is very kind of you to offer :) but i have a newwys round the corner from me too, plus as u say now i know what to put into google i should be able to get hold of some easy enough.

Thanks for the links guys :) I know this is going to sound like a really stupid question, and please excuse my ignorance but are conduit fittings comparable with enclosures not meant for conduit?

Also is there a risk of corrosion using gal fittings and brass glands?

Thanks

If it is 20mm electrical thread it will be 20mm 1.5mm pitch, so it will take a 20mm gland, conduit adaptor, conduit etc. all interchangeable.

As for corrosion a lot will depend on the environment, I am trying to think if I have had any particular reaction between galvy and brass fittings over the years, certainly had corroded fittings over the years but nothing I can say I would put down to a reaction between the brass and galvy. I am sure some of our more cleverer people will be along shortly to advise more :)

One of my jobs is making looms for a worldwide client who supplies/installs equipment in all sorts of applications (heavy industry, indoors, outdoors, anywhere really). Thousands of brass glands have been used with galv reducers since long before my time (and hundreds during).

Brass is an alloy of copper & zinc.

Galvanising is a zinc coating.

So, the contacting materials are more alike than it would first seem.

More alike than nickel & brass anyway.

So a galv reducer will be fine, it's all I use too, normally.