Switched FCU in shower room

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MalcyB

Reaction score
Hi All

While at a customer of mine I noticed that they had some work done from the last time I was there.

In what used to be a cloakroom, that had a toilet, a basin and, on the wall was a dual fuel towel radiator plumbed into the central heating which was also wired into an FCU for when the heating is not in use.

This cloakroom has since been enlarged slightly and there was now a shower cubicle.

What concerned me was the switched FCU being in the same room, I have measured the distance from the cubicle to the FCU and it is just over 600mm so it is just out side zone 2.

There is no RCD on the circuit, the board is a re wireable wylex. He said that they are going to get a board change in the near future any way. But I have advised them to get an RCD fitted as soon as possible.

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions on this?

Thanks

Malc

is this FCU still in use. if not is it possible to isolate the circuit at the fuseboard,

or insall an IP fcu.

Yes it is still in use.

I don't think they would go for a weather proof FCU. Is there anything that is IP rated that would look ok indoors?

Has anyone got any thoughts or opinions on this?Thanks

Malc
FCU supplying a fixed appliance in Zone 2?

Not in itself a major issue IMHO...

How prone is the FCU to being sprayed with jets?

Hows the ventilation / condensation?

RCD

Is the shower a mixer or electric?

if electric.. who notified and signed off the work????

is this FCU still in use. if not is it possible to isolate the circuit at the fuseboard, or insall an IP fcu.
erm......

aren't all electrical accessories of some IP rating?

e.g. top surfaces... 416.x.x

?

I can't see there being a problem with spray.

There is no extractor fan, but there is an opening window.

The shower is a mixer so there has been no electrical work done in there.

You have advised the customer , your duty of care is done , you can do no more , the householder is responsible for the safety of his electrical installation , we are not the Electric Police.

The Part P Consultation Committe are now refering to "DIY Electricians " doing notifiable work so we'll be seeing a lot more of this sort of thing . As we all know "DIY Electricians" are fully versed in the 17th edition ,have all completed a full apprenticship in the trade, and will be fully conversant with the zones in bath and shower rooms.

But only in England ,apparently, Wales will continue with Part P unaltered, while in Scotland it doesn't exist at all and who knows about NI ??

Well that makes sense doesn't it, a different set of Regs for each part of Britain >>> Next year of course, Wales will change to driving on the right hand ride of the road, the Severn Bridge will be rebuilt as giant whirlygig type thing where you drive on on the left and come off on the right .

Scotland will adopt its own Regs and change their cable colours as follows :-

Red will be the McDonald Tartan

Yellow will be the Campbell Tartan

Blue will be the McDougal Tartan

Neutral will a blue & white stripe

Earth will be a nice Fairisle pattern . :C

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I would be happier if it was moved outside the room but as they seem to not care too much about safety I would let them get on with it after all it was not you that did the refit.

To move it would be a major job.

I wouldn't be so concerned if it was just a fused unit but with it being a switch.

As you say Batty there's not a lot I can do. But it is out of the zones.

The customer has agreed to get an RCD fitted to that circuit. So all is not lost.

Latest posts