New RCD necessary?

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if he says there is nothing wrong with the elements, make sure they are tested whilst hot

HI Andy

No - he didn't even check the elements! That's what I'd found out earlier today when I messaged him. This is what I cannot get my head around (especially when oven was pulled out for him to fit new isolators as the same time) he just wants to get a new board without checking the element! Since I've been questioning things and messaging him (and managing to fake at pretending I know what I'm talking about) he's gone remarkably quiet.... What a coincidence!

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrrgh! I've tried what you suggested (thanks very much for the guidance - much appreciated) and it DID NOT trip! So perhaps we DO have a faulty RCD? So do I stick to the original plan and let the electrician replace the whole thing then? Do I cancel my Bosch appointment which was covered under the warranty since they'll charge me a ridiculous fee if it's not their fault? :(
More likely is there is a fault on another circuit.

What you need is a more competent electrician. Try to find someoen else. Perhaps get an EICR done (Electrical installation condition report) that will highlight if there are any faults and should come with an unbiased list of things that need doing, things that need a bit more investigating, and things that would be nice to do but not necessary if you don't want to.

More likely is there is a fault on another circuit.

What you need is a more competent electrician. Try to find someoen else. Perhaps get an EICR done (Electrical installation condition report) that will highlight if there are any faults and should come with an unbiased list of things that need doing, things that need a bit more investigating, and things that would be nice to do but not necessary if you don't want to.

Perfect! Thank you. (was just literally wondering how to get everything in order/reassured without someone shaking their head going "oooh, you need this and that....." - But knowing there is this "unbiased" option is perfect (the cynic in me won't start tapping on my shoulder) so I can take it from there and get fair quotes and can relax more about it! Honesty is a much bigger deal to me than the cost.

Told electrician I'm getting it looked at under warranty first and he said "You will need a breaker in the existing board changing if you keep that - just so you know" Erm... He was supposed to be coming to fix the issue (including change the breaker which was his original plan) and fit isolators. Does this mean he never even tried to change breaker and he's just tried to push us into a new board instead? (So this would mean we then have to give Bosch £100 for a wasted trip and we just need a breaker for the oven?)

electrically those breakers you have are fine, but because they are from a different model they dont fit correctly leaving a gap. 1 RCD covering the entire house (which you have) can cause an issue if too many things have slight leakage and they all add up enough to trip the RCD. but thats nothing to do with the breakers on the right

I just messaged him saying "I thought you tried to change the breaker and it didn't work"?

"No, the breaker was on order. But as you were goign to change the board I cancelled it?" They lying ****!!! We didn't want to change anything - we wanted the fault fixing (to which he was supposed to be coming to fix WITH A BREAKER when doing the isolators at the same time) but he told us a new board is the only solution - he didn't even change the breaker!

Can someone please confirm that, regardless of his claiming that testing shows earth leaking and electrics trip when sending lots of power down it - EVEN WHEN COOKER IS ISOLATED (i.e. the breaker is not the issue according to him - even though he didn't even try it out with a new breaker) - But could changing the breaker resolve this? (even if it does NOT trip when only that breaker is on and the rest are off?) I need to cancel Bosch if so. Arrrrgh! ha ha!

(maybe the earth doesn't leak or it doesn't trip when he sends power down it - not sure I should believe him now!)

RCD's can and do fail, sometimes they just dont work at all, other times they can be overly sensitive. but that is usually a quick diagnosis, and its usually reasonably easy to see any potential leakage on other circuits that could cause an issue. ideally, you need a sparky who knows how to fault find

@steptoe is in manchester, but he might be too far

Cancel Bosch or not? Anyone...? Sorry to go on so much!

Maybe I should stick with it, then if it's not sorted with Bosch I will start with the Electrical installation condition report and take it from there perhaps? Will be a bit naff coming back from my holidays to this. Good excuse to order lots of takeaways though!

it could be another circuit leaking,

and the relatively high current draw of the cooker makes this more apparent, thus the RCD tripping.

When I turned some switches off/on earlier the "downstairs sockets" switch made a nose (like a spark noise) and I've noticed sometimes if I plug my phone or anything into an extension lead that's plugged into the downstairs sockets it can "click" a little (awkward smile time) - I'm going to get told off aren't i?!

sparking when a circuit is made or broken is normal but not usually noticeable. if its excessive then it could be an indication of a problem (usually a loose connection)

RCD's can and do fail, sometimes they just dont work at all, other times they can be overly sensitive. but that is usually a quick diagnosis, and its usually reasonably easy to see any potential leakage on other circuits that could cause an issue. ideally, you need a sparky who knows how to fault find

@steptoe is in manchester, but he might be too far

its about 45mins from me, so reasonably local tbh,