Testing E7 offpeak circuits

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sellers

Reaction score
how do you guys generally go about this? ok fair doos I can get zs by calc.

but zdb, pfc, rcd test?? feeding off the peak side isnt really an option because I wouldn't be testing the correct submain. Do you normally have it as a limitation?

normally stick a temp feed from other supply for testing, best you can do, without being there at 2am

some have a 'boost' during the day - if it does, arrange live testing then?

I loop a feed from the 24hr , its doubtful if its that different TBH . You can pi$$ about forever with these things.

If its an old fashioned rotary time switch , you can trip them on for testing a heater eg.

I loop a feed from the 24hr , its doubtful if its that different TBH . You can pi$$ about forever with these things. If its an old fashioned rotary time switch , you can trip them on for testing a heater eg.
IR test and r1+r2 and stick a note on the lims, thats what housing and council do

if its an old time clock I would wind it on as Evans said but be careful when you re-tighten the middle screw. If you tighten it too much the clock will lag. If it is a black radio switch it should have a small red lever you can flick down inside to manually over ride it. We used to do these for Eaga and they were happy with Cal Zs and putting a note under your test results. if the std cu is close enough take a link from one of the mcbs to the top of the rcd in the off peak board test rcd then I would check each heater 1 as a time either to see if the neon comes on or wait for the smell. This was good for proving to the old dears that they worked as well. As the amount of call backs we used to get with people saying they didn't work was unbelievable. These things should come with a DVD. Trying to explain to someone with oldtimers for the 4Th time on a Friday at 5 o'clock with a 2 hour drive home isn't funny.

If its right next to the STD rate cu then the Zdb isn't likely to be any different,,, But for RCD testing you're going to have to link to STD rate
I test Ze by putting the earth connection in the off peak board and the line connection in the 24hr board. This proves the earthing to the off peak without too much faff and if the boards are next to each other (usually the case) the reading is good. Make a note in your deviations box.

Zs is then calculated.

Link out to test RCDs/RCBOs as described above. Also for functional testing (usually one heater at a time, checking the current with a clamp as I go).

Latest posts