They Want To Hear From Us........................ ]:)

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kme

Fridge Keyholder™
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well now the opportunity to sock it to 'em, show the scams for what hey really are, an umbrella for the 5ww to hide under!!!
Unfortunately even long established fully trained electricians are joining the bandwagon. I can only assume that because of the influx of the 5 DWW they are reluctant to do the job properly anymore

I am on a job at the moment, a rented property, rented by the NHS as an emergency treatment facility. This was tested last year by a national company, whom I will now avoid like the plague. All the wiring is definitely not up to NHS standards, none of the medical equipment sockets are marked up and the labelling and additions are horrendous.

i spoke with the facilities manager today and basically told them that the building should be shut down and rewired properly. For instance take out all the additional distribution boards manufactured for under a tenner including breakers, and wire properly into the existing distribution boards with around 40 free ways and not used. I can only assume that because it is three phase the numpties who added did not know single phase could be taken from a three phase board!!

I know what you mean Manator, I've been at a school today to replace some light fittings that the kids have damaged, The fittings were put in last year during a refurb all work done by a national company..............

They obviously ran out of brown singles so used green & yellow with loads of brown tape....I did check the other 7 fittings in the corridor & all are the same. (will put up pic's later)

Get this all up there..................

I KNOW they`re after "domestic"; but we all have "horror stories".

We NEED to make sure that, when these people actually ask us what we think........................we tell `em.

So just what ARE you going to tell them?

The scams don't work?

Most people ignore part P?

5WW have set the "new" standard that everyone else is aspiring to (downwards)?

Part P should be scrapped?

Part P should be strengthened?

Electricians should be registered?

Part P should be introduced in Scotland and NI?

Part of me feels I should make a comment, but I don't know what. The other part of me says keep my beak out, it doesn't affect me.

standards need to be kept up:-

1/ part P needs to stay but be enforced - even better, only registered electricians allowed to trade, same as gas.

2/ entry to trade needs to be tightened - paper knowledge only is not enough

3/ 1 scheme to rule them all, on not for profit basis

4/ public awareness is low

5/ on-spec inspections for scheme, members

6/ ability to remove sparks from rgistration body without customer complaint.

So just what ARE you going to tell them?

The scams don't work?

Most people ignore part P?

5WW have set the "new" standard that everyone else is aspiring to (downwards)?

Part P should be scrapped?

Part P should be strengthened?

Electricians should be registered?

Part P should be introduced in Scotland and NI?

Part of me feels I should make a comment, but I don't know what. The other part of me says keep my beak out, it doesn't affect me.
You're a sparks ....have your say ..... Part McPee  may be coming your way  soon .

Martyn ,   (KME)  I'm looking at completing this thing later this evening ,  I take it the link takes us to a questionair  and it goes to a parliamentary committe or whatever it is ? 

They're keeping this a bit quiet  are they not . ?

They said not to do a PDF  so I did Word .

But even me , well known computer wizz kid  couldn't for the life of me see how or where to send it .  

I created a Word Document , saved it , attached it to the Questionair thing then ...what do I do .... :C

I think part-p is good because it does require work to be carried out by someone with some qualifications. Before part-p every kitchen fitter, builder, plasterer could just dabble with the electrics.

I think the big problem is medium-large companies that send out untrained labour to do electricians work, so they can charge the client sparks money and pay the labour unskilled money.

I know lots of firms that operate like this.

I would strongly advise anyone considering submitting evidence to read the letters submitted following the farcical meeting on the 2nd September. 

It must be remembered that the "call for evidence"  appears to be a direct consequence of the subject matter of the letters submitted therefore the Select Committee WANT to know what is going on in the Part P industry. 

The Select Committee are keen to establish whether the issues highlighted are isolated incidences OR a clear indication of systematic failures of the Schemes and DCLG that appear to allow such practices.

The Schemes are desperate to present an image of an industry of trained, qualified and competent electricians working under a robust policing system - it is up to us to provide evidence of how it really is.

If anyone has any customers who have been the victims of shoddy or dangerous work then it would be extremely helpful for said customers to submit evidence of their experiences - ESPECIALLY their experiences of the Schemes' complaints processes.

Latest posts