Thinking of taking on an apprentice.....

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that is always the worry being self employed i have a lad that helps me out who is self employed himself that way if i have no work generally he goes and helps his old boss out if he needs him. I am quite quiet at the moment and luckily his old boss has some work for him so he is helping him out.

I read somewhere that you can't make an apprentice redundant......? It seem ed to imply that you have keep them on whatever. It worried me because, worst scenario, I have no work then what happens?!Dunx

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:27 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:23 ----------

Here for example!

Apprentices
This I think comes down to the technicalities of redundancy..

e.g.

it is NOT a person that becomes redundant its is a JOB or POST or POSITION that has to become surplus to requirements within a company...

i.e.

You Cannot say someone is redundant then take on another person top fill that position...

Because obviously then the position is NOT redundant and you can be taken to court by the person you got rid of!

It has to be a JOB that is redundant and any persons who happen to be doing that job....

So AFAIK the only way you could say an apprentice is redundant is IMHO if you intend to NEVER ever take on any trainees in the future!!!!!!!!!

:C

Well I voted with my gut instinct....Decided not to go ahead with the apprenticeship, too much of a risk. What the Case Law seems to say is that they are a on a training contract for x years. If you can't fulfill that contract, the apprentice can sue for the balance of his/her wages for the balance of the training period.

Well I voted with my gut instinct....Decided not to go ahead with the apprenticeship, too much of a risk. What the Case Law seems to say is that they are a on a training contract for x years. If you can't fulfill that contract, the apprentice can sue for the balance of his/her wages for the balance of the training period.
Thank you for updating us with this topic Dunx. Your interpretation of case law could be a major difficulty for any small business wanting to take on an apprentice. I guess this is what Mr Location was implying when referring to jobs or people becoming redundant. It is a very big commitment for anyone wanting to help train someone and it makes it very hard for all the youngsters out there wanting an opportunity to get some hands on experience working the tools.

Doc H.

Hi Dunx,

I think you have probably done the right thing, but looking at it from the potential apprentices point of view it must be dissapointing for him. I just wanted to check that you have told him your thinking and that the reason you haven't offered him an apprenticeship is not because of his standard of work. It's easy to get disheartened at the beginning of a career and you don't want to put off someone who could be good one day.

Hi,

Oh yes, I was really gutted and feel very sorry for the lad. I did offer for him to continue as an employee and I said i would keep training him in the hope that he could gain enough experience a bigger firm could take him on. He decided he didn't want to do this and I understand that. Going to look for a sparky's mate I think.

Dunx

Been very interesting to learn this issue from an employers prospective. I'm 30yrs old I have an NVQ level 2 City&Guilds 2351 also CIty&Guilds 2330 level 2. I have some on site experience in domestic rewire and some experience in installing natural smoke ventilation systems too. My question is what route should I go down apprentice? Or sparks mate? Or is there an alternative I can do?