Threads That I Dare Not Answer Honestly For Fear Of Being "not" Friendly!

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a forum to work, you have to be able to say what you want. A downside of this is that you have to accept criticism, and accept viable arguments.

totally agree Manator, but as I said earlier, it's not what is said, it's how.

you can call someone liar to their face and will immediately get a strong response (like a slap),or you can suggest the gentleman maybe being economical with the truth. Insult avoided, but point still made.

Last edited by a moderator:
It was me who asked the question about the kitchen being separated from the downstairs ring if needed rewiring, I was 95% certain it could stay together but felt it was best to ask. As things turned out all circuits gave acceptable readings on all tests and only things could find that needed attention was no labels on cu and some flex on a pendant had exposed blue/brown wires where it connects to the lamp holder.

I didn't do this as a paid electrician for a customer, purely as a favour to a friend who didn't trust her landlord.

:(

Exhibit #3.. or is it #4.. I dunno..

http://talk.electricianforum.co.uk/topic/23378-electrics-in-porch/

So what exactly does anyone learn on a "short - Become a PartP electrician - course"...

If you cannot design and install some porch power & lighting at the end of it without having to ask for help on the internet?????

Its a blooming socket & a light and a bit of cable with a fuse.....

headbang

default_Fell%20off%20of%20my%20chair.gif

I honestly think some (or maybe all) of these "training Providers" need to be put up before trading standards for not providing the teaching they claim to offer!

Can deal with that if they do some homework first, ie they aren't sure, but would like an opinion on 2 possible answers. Too many lazy people can't be bothered to read regs.

I find it hard to tell the difference of wind ups and actual questions.

in post 23 Specs gives reference to another wind up post. when reading it the OP is using terminology only a sparky would use rather then a DIYer  

'Functional testing only I am afraid .... I used a socket tester as well'     sounds like a wind up Spark to me

I agree with you usual old cronies on here, and the general feeling of they should not charge for doing something they dont know how to do.  One of my hates on here is people giving wrong advice or jumping on the have a go band wagon.  Though i like coming on here to read the wind ups, idiots, haters,  but most of all a good challenging question and debate on the rules and regs.

When i get stuck with a job i ask the even more grumpy old cronies i know that have forgotten more then i have learnt, that laugh at the likes of forums & internet. I am just lucky they bother to own a mobile phone so i phone them in between them using there wind up megger on red yellow and blue phases.

I think the forum is great, i like best discovering unusual items, tools and ways of doing things. 

I like a bit of Terry Pratchet occasionally, but it's a real treat to read something non-technical!

Bet he knows more how to wire a porch than some of the plonkers we get asking questions on here????

Just need to get the balance right on the back of that bloody turtle or something ..

then you can change anything elctwikal I fink!!!

I do hope you are not trying to take my thread off topic?? :innocent

Or I will report you to Sandra!!!!

:slap

I find it hard to tell the difference of wind ups and actual questions.

in post 23 Specs gives reference to another wind up post. when reading it the OP is using terminology only a sparky would use rather then a DIYer  

'Functional testing only I am afraid .... I used a socket tester as well'     sounds like a wind up Spark to me

I agree with you usual old cronies on here, and the general feeling of they should not charge for doing something they dont know how to do.  One of my hates on here is people giving wrong advice or jumping on the have a go band wagon.  Though i like coming on here to read the wind ups, idiots, haters,  but most of all a good challenging question and debate on the rules and regs.

When i get stuck with a job i ask the even more grumpy old cronies i know that have forgotten more then i have learnt, that laugh at the likes of forums & internet. I am just lucky they bother to own a mobile phone so i phone them in between them using there wind up megger on red yellow and blue phases.

I think the forum is great, i like best discovering unusual items, tools and ways of doing things. 
I'd class myself as a Grumpy Old Cronie TBH   (GOC)  but theres no way I'd be laughing at Forums such as this .  

Some GOCs have a vast experience but stopped learning around 1970 , not all , but some .

I was doing some installation at a factory that had one maintenance spark , been there all his life .    I remember we fitted a Bill Talisman MCB board for a new small workshop.   The guy had no idea about MCBs .  I'm not decrying him as the place was very old fashioned with all the boards being rewirable or HRC .   

He was good at what he did , keeping the place running but only a basic idea of the Regs .

I posted this bit a couple of years ago on here ....but some young sparks also stop learning when they come "on the tools" .... as when I described an argument once with some subbies we had helping us..........  they swore blind that an RCD offered overload protection because it is rated at say , 40A / 30mA  ...so it would trip out in excess of 40A  .  

This is quite wide spread  and was a case of RCDs suddenly being used more and more , 16th ed etc. but they hadn't taken the trouble to learn about them properly.

I also posted about  guys doing their time with a large contractor , coming on the tools and moving on for whatever reason .   It then became apparent that they :-

(a)  Couldn't function without the command structure above them , ordering stuff, telling them what to do etc.

(b)  Moving to a small firm and working on their own , shortcomings became apparent .  

Years ago it was realise that they were say, excellent steel conduit & trunking hands but poor at everything else . 

Some could leave you standing when forming a double set in 12" X 4"  segregated trunking  but couldn't do sod all else.   

Also remember, as an apprentii. explaining to an GOC how an intermediate switch worked .  It was just that he'd never come across one .  He'd been on big sites and stuff like the  production lines for the (then) new Mini  at Longbridge .

We were doing a new building for Barclay's Bank and the stairway switching in Pyro  was throwing him , he was OK with the 2way at top & bottom but it was the ones in the middle.  

When the gaffer moved off for a minute I told him how it could be done and I remember he thanked me for not showing him up  .  So , a good forman, a good organiser but hadn't come across an intermediate switch .  

Had the internet existed back then he could have come on here and asked ...pretending he was a DIYer p'raps.      

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have EVER wired an intermediate light circuit outside college!

Cut back & terminated 500 black cores in a control panel, but never an intermediate light in anger!

well, ya know,

its not just on t'internet it happens,

called out to a not working heating install a couple of weeks ago,

the installing plumber had quoted for me to do the install, even explained to customer not all [even experienced competent sparks] could wire heating systems (even though this was only a five zone system),

customer got his BiL [who is a spark apparently] to do it, (I since found out for more than we quoted) ,

heating doesnt work, cpc's used as switch wires as he didnt pull enough cables in etc, etc etc

cables a total mess,

Ive priced more than the original price to rectify it,

customer just wants to know whats wrong,  'your wiring is wrong'

but it cant be, a spark done it, can you just tell him whats wrong?

'yes, tell him he isnt competent and shouldnt be doing stuff that is dangerous, against the regs, probably illegal, and well out of his depth',

he rang the plumber to ask me what was wrong, plumber told him the same thing.  :slap

You should have offered to tell him what was wrong for an extra £100 on top of what it would cost for you to do the repair..As per Rev James' sig..... £xx if you want to watch ;)
oh, must tell that to the plumber in the morning, I have to ring him to see if[when] he wants it sorting,

he keeps saying the [brand new] boiler is faulty, it must be because the valves are opening and closing, well, yes, they are, but not on the right zones, not seperately on the zones, and not all of them are firing the boiler properly cos they are connected to any stat on the system,

some are in parrellel, some in series, some totally wrong,

rads on HW stat anyone?! 

:pmsl:

oh, and some arent connected to the boiler at all..........