Timer Operation.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smudge

Reaction score
A new Wylex CU was recently fitted by an elevtrician and every circuit and 13 amp socket was tested an no faults found and the P cerificate issued.

On Saturday afternoon, I reset a timer to make sure it was working correctly. Plugged it into a socket in the kitchen with a light and it worked coming on and going off a few minutes later. So reset the times so that it would come on in the early evening as it was getting dark and go off about 10.30 p.m. But it didn't work when it was plugged in one of the sockets in the lounge.

So on Sunday, tried a different timer in the kitchen as on Saturday which worked correctly.

When I had reset the times I plugged it into a socket in the lounge. This tripped the rcd in the CU leaving us in the dark for a few minutes. So took the timer out and plugged the light directly into the socket withpout any further problem.

Have now got a third timer which I have put in the adjacent socket of the twin socket outlet and hopes this works.

My question is why would the timer cause the RCD to trip?

Have tried to phone the electrician but he is not answering his phone, probably away on holiday.

Latest posts