Tips For First Time Assesments.

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Assessment for approved contractor status is a big step up from domestic installers. ACs must be competent in so many more disciplines - questions on pyro, TPN etc are not uncommon. The 5 jobs are usually gone through in some detail - As has been said before, you do NOT have to know the answer, but you ARE expected to know where to find the answer!

Being an AC is telling large companies, commercial, industrial, etc that you have more competence and expertise than would be expected to be demonstrated by the average DI. We`ve had the discussions of NICEIC versus "others" many times, and we all have our own thoughts on the subject.

Be safe. Be legal as well, but safe is more important. Covering your ass is also one to be aware of, but not as important as safety.

IMO

KME

NICEIC, McNapit just didn't want me :^O
Thats a point Mr. mcgaw , Macnapit , McBS and McElecsa were formed to implement Part P, so if there is no Part McP in Bonnie Scotland , do they actually operate there or is it just Mc NICEIC as it used to be in Sassonach land ? And that prompts next question , what does Sassonach mean ? Or is it best left unanswered ?

McDeke ;)

great post its exactly what i need to be learning about i will be finishing level 3 2330 soon and taking 17th after that so this is all valuable adviceApplaud Smiley

hello every1 can i become a member of napit with 2330 level 2 and level 3 also 17th. or do u need a nvq L3 as well as 2330 3? i have been told i can. i know i have to do test and inspect with in 12 months thnk s

hello every1 can i become a member of napit with 2330 level 2 and level 3 also 17th. or do u need a nvq L3 as well as 2330 3? i have been told i can. i know i have to do test and inspect with in 12 months thnk s
Hello James,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure someone will reply to you soon.

:)

Hi to all,

I have decided to get myself assessed and get registered, i got someone lined up for a cu change to get me through the assessment. I had a kitchen extension about 3 months ago and i did all the wiring and whilst i was at it, i changed the cu so feel pretty confident about it. Had it checked out by another elccey. Only thing im nervous is about the actual assessment.Im about order my megger and an isolating kit for my assessment and sort all my paper work that i need.

Can anyone advise on what else i need in terms of testing, and what do you guys think about my approach.

Thanks

Mac

If you are about to buy a tester make sure it comes with a calibration certificate, the assessor may want to know which tester you used for the initial tests, a different tester may just may give differing values, he will be watching how you use the tester he can tell if you are confident in the testers many features. If you can do all the tests with confidence whilst being watched you should be ok, have a good read of Green Hornets post.

I've decided to get the megger 1553, lock off kit, and proving unit to get me started.

What do you think?

Macu, whose the assessment with? I have just passed mine with NAPIT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've decided to go with elecsa.

---------- AUTO MERGE Post added at 20:13 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

I just thought that aleast with the 1553 i can use the facility in the future.

got my first time assessment on wednesday morning.

I decided to go with Elecsa and did the ccu in my house.

Just a question having now read the opening post, are they going to make me physically test my whole house again? or is that just an NICEIC thing, because there are 16 circuits to go through headbangheadbangheadbang

Even the NICEIC won't make you test the whole house again..

What they will do is get you to carry out all the tests required (inc SAFE ISOLATION) on either one circuit or across a few circuits

The NICEIC want to see 2 jobs, one of which must include a new CU and / or circuit - the other ca be a MW (extension to an existing circuit). At these jobs they will get you to do some of the tests, by the time you have visited both you wll have carried out all the tests.

HTH

Just finished the assessment and passed.

I've never been so nervous and stressed.

He gave me an A-grade (still not sure what that means) and only had 1 observation.

He was very friendly and helpful as well as giving me lots of ideas for neat things to do.