To many existing wires to connect new smart socket

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

barry warren

Reaction score
Hello I am looking at replacing a simple existing 2 plug gang socket with a new BG smart 13a socket however, when I took the socket off which needs to be replaced I can see there are internal wires coming from the back box on both sides inside (probably connecting the three sockets together) but the new socket only has the connections for one set of wires.

Can somebody please tell me if there is a way that this new socket can be connected with this configuration and if so how from the photos below please ?

I

Many Thanks

Barry

Attachments

• IMG_6605.jpeg
    IMG_6605.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6606.jpeg
    IMG_6606.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6607.jpeg
    IMG_6607.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 0
Thanks John I don't fully understand the 2 Green / Yellow into 'E' Pairs of wires in each terminal can you explain please

Thanks

Barry

Look at your existing socket, it has 2 brown wires into live, 2 blue wires into neutral the green and yellows are in two separate earth. With the exception of the green and yellow which needs to go into the single terminal on the new socket, wire the new socket in the same way.

Thanks so on the new switch One earth wire goes in the terminal between N & L and the other earth wire in the bottom terminal alone ?

There is no requirement to put and earth to the back box.

There is no requirement to put and earth to the back box.
When did that change? Seems a bit odd to relax that, I've seen light switches with live screws!

Barry, Ignore my suggestion of an earth wire to the box, it does potentially add a tiny bit of safety but it's not a requirement any more.

When did that change? Seems a bit odd to relax that, I've seen light switches with live screws!
Never been the case where an accessory like a socket outlet will earth the back box, all insulated switches are different the cpc would go to the back box. If conduit or cable sheath is used as the cpc then a cpc would be required to an accessory which requires an earth.

Never been the case where an accessory like a socket outlet will earth the back box, all insulated switches are different the cpc would go to the back box. If conduit or cable sheath is used as the cpc then a cpc would be required to an accessory which requires an earth.
Thanks for the explanation, no harm in putting a wire in there but unlikely that a fault in the socket would make the backbox live (earthed through the screws).

1. please stop telling people how to play with electricity.
2. You should know that if there is a fixed lug then there is no need to earth the back box.

I understand helping people but if someone has not got the simple grasp of a socket should you not say get an electrician.
People say what bad job some electricians do so 6 months down the line loose connection causing more problems who knows
We have all replaced items with bad connections causing damage burnt cables accessories etc
Just my opinion and no disrespect to Op
A small price for keeping people safe

1. please stop telling people how to play with electricity.
2. You should know that if there is a fixed lug then there is no need to earth the back box.
1) until the forum admin tells me to stop advising / helping people I will continue to help.
2) What harm is done by adding an earth conductor to the back box?
Just a thought, why are you here? Is it to get advice on things you’re not fully conversant with or to help others?

Last edited:
It's not quite that black and white having researched it further.

If the back box has both lugs fixed then the additional earth connection is not needed but would be considered 'best practice'
If the back box has one adjustable and one fixed lug provided the socket has an earth under the screw to the fixed lug, again, not necessary but considered best practice.
If the back box has two adjustable lugs then the earth connection is needed.

It's amazing how things become ingrained over the years and I can see both sides of the argument BUT the additional earth wire can only improve the safety, admittedly only marginally but it certainly does not make it more dangerous.

I agree I didn't mention the fact about two unfixed lugs as I can't remember the last time or if I have ever seen one. As for 'best practice' that is just personal views and not requirements.

none, however stating is 'should' be done is quite simply incorrect
And I have acknowledged that, what more do you want?

Hey everyone, a made a mistake, I got something incorrect, I apologise to almost all of you

Happy now? will that do?
It must be amazing to go through life never getting anything wrong, youre incredible.

So,adjustable lugs...
Bearing in mind there are some picky folk on here

The reference is to the lugs being 'used'.....I know! But some people think otherwise
Earth tail to back box needed if CPC is metal conduit , SWA, MICC sheath or similar

A while ago there were some sockets without continuity between CPC terminal and box screws

Just saying

So,adjustable lugs...
Bearing in mind there are some picky folk on here

The reference is to the lugs being 'used'.....I know! But some people think otherwise
Earth tail to back box needed if CPC is metal conduit , SWA, MICC sheath or similar

A while ago there were some sockets without continuity between CPC terminal and box screws

Just saying
For what it costs and the time it takes, I have and will continue to fit the earth wire to the back box.

My house which was built in 1989 has all of it's wiring done this way, I continued the good practice when I made changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.