Torque screwdrivers

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New Venture!

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good torque screwdriver that they have been using? The cheap-ish one I picked up at the local leccy trade counter has given up the ghost and I've been

"advised" I need to replace it........

I use the 'wrist master plus'. Very adaptive. Knows the difference between 1.0mm and 4.0mm which a lot of torque drivers do not.  :signthankspin:

Agreed, not by choice would I use one, but need to

"demonstrate I have a torque screwdriver and how to use it" 

I have a few different ones due to my 'other sideline'...where the wrong torque can kill you and give the Coroner and HSE a Feld Day

for Electrc type stuff  I use a WIHA.....as a wholesaler gave me a free set. SBS Dave a forum sponsor sells one which i have received so that i can carry out a review.  This will,be quite soon as finally I am now back up to full speed

A review for a torque driver?  How does that work?  

"Yes the screwdriver in question is a, err...... Screwdriver shape. You can also use it clockwise as well as anti-clockwise. Erm......"

What scheme again? Sounds like all torque and no trousers.

My last NICEIC inspector said one wasn't needed, and is correct, as long as you buy a CU that only says connections must be "tight". Those that "require" specific torques could be avoided. :innocent

Edit; and what was the make of the one that gave up the ghost?

Last edited by a moderator:
What scheme again? Sounds like all torque and no trousers.

My last NICEIC inspector said one wasn't needed, and is correct, as long as you buy a CU that only says connections must be "tight". Those that "require" specific torques could be avoided. :innocent

Could not agree more. MCB manufacturers that require specific torque settings take no account of the size of the cable terminating into it. 

I have also also never had the NICEIC ask me for a torque driver. Absolute waste of money. 

screwdriver review, :-

I bought some vde screwdrivers from the pound shop,

brilliant, dont understand why anyone would pay 5£ for one screwdriver, I bought a set of 73 from the pound shop for a pound,

they do what it says on the tin it says on the cheap plastic cling film wrapper,

unfortunately the only downside is, they dont seem to tighten the screws very well,

apparently I need a higher torque setting on my wrist, :C

and they dont work on screws longer than 8"  :(

still, I have a hammer for those ones,  :)

Busbar and switch connections for distribution switchgear and the like I can understand the need for correctly torqued bolts. Something like a normal CU connection, I can’t understand the reason other than for arse covering.

Reading posts on here and other forums it would seem to be the manufacturers QA departments that need to get their house in order regarding abysmal terminal threads.

Like others the British Standard Wrist Twist has never let me down in 40 years. I’d be telling whichever organisation to go screw themselves (pun intended).

I wonder how many people, including the 'expert :slap ' scheme assessors, actually know how to use a torque driver, especially on heavy stranded cables?

edit: good Luther avatar there Steps! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
There is only one way to use a torque driver, the make up of the joint is irrelevant.

The issue comes where by the MI's do not take into account the make up of the joint, and that is where it all falls apart.

I wonder how many people, including the 'expert :slap ' scheme assessors, actually know how to use a torque driver, especially on heavy stranded cables?

edit: good Luther avatar there Steps! :)

thanks @Lusk

didnt think anyone would recognise tbh,

saying that,

looks like you might not be far from me,   :unsure: