Training offer

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I have been asked today to deliver 17th, 17th update, 2392, 2391-10, 2391-20, 2377 (PAT) both, & the C&G Solar PV course (can't remember the number), and if necessary depending on the workload share this with another member here.

I can't decide what to do.

I have written and delivered training courses before.

This is obviously for a C&G approved centre and they are also an NICEIC Approved training provider.

The rates would be less than I can get "on the tools" but less hassle, clean, their course notes, their training centre possible free lunch!

I Really Can't decide!

I'm not sure if I have the spare capacity, but it would be good to generate contacts and I could cut this down as required.

It has fried my brain a bit, I enjoy training, which is one of the reasons I am never in the student & learning section as I would spend too much time on researching and answering posts there.

I can't do this on here as I have to run my business.

Well, suggestions & comments please?.......

Any thoughts?....

I guess as there are that many course titles that this would be a full time job?? With guaranteed hours?? With a guaranteed term??

If the above is correct then I would summise that you would then lose at least one of your main clients if not all of them??

No mate it is a fill in job when the main trainer is called up by the NIC to fill in!

He just needs me to be able to deliver the full suite!

---------- Post Auto-Merged at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was made at 23:06 ----------

Oh, or when overbooked!

Any chance of only doing some of the courses, or are they dead set on you doing all of them?

You obviously love teaching, but is it worth losing longer term customers for?

Just from the way you have worded your post, it seems to me that you want to do the training, so is it worth going with your gut instinct, ignoring the sensible thing and following your heart - after all, you only live once.

No help at all I know, but I felt the need to add to your confusion:innocent

Thanks both all that has done as Ali said is confuse me!!!

I do enjoy training, & I did discuss fitting this in around my existing work which seemed OK.

As you can tell from here and especially those who have spoken to me boy, can I gass!

I'll sleep on it (shortly) an discuss with the boss in the morning!

I find teaching both rewarding and monotonous, but never fail to get reward from it. I do not it do any more, but that was not because of the pressure, more because of circumstance. You say that you could share the workload? If it was me I think I would be inclined to go for it, given that another forum member could help out when required. Its all down to putting the proverbial bread on the table.

Teaching any subject also gives you a deeper insight to your topic, and actually helps you to remember certain things that in the real world of working on the tools you seem to forget, but are never the less as important.

Mr SW ,

These are turbulant times , if you have a good customer base with no shortage of work , I think one might be foolish to accept the offer as you will never make as much teaching as you can doing .

But if you are looking for a slower pace of life , money is not such an issue and this would give you enough to survive then it is a viable option , but.

Teaching is not brilliant especially if you are teaching the youngsters , but can be very rewarding.

Another option could you reduce work load to allow you to do both temperary of course or maybe take on someone to do your day to day work when you are ther wise occupied.

I for one think you would make an excellant tutor and no matter what you do will be the best choice for you .

Good luck with what ever path you decide to take.

Andy

Hi guys,I'm in a bit of a quandry.

I have been asked today to deliver 17th, 17th update, 2392, 2391-10, 2391-20, 2377 (PAT) both, & the C&G Solar PV course (can't remember the number), and if necessary depending on the workload share this with another member here.

I can't decide what to do.

I have written and delivered training courses before.

This is obviously for a C&G approved centre and they are also an NICEIC Approved training provider.

The rates would be less than I can get "on the tools" but less hassle, clean, their course notes, their training centre possible free lunch!

I Really Can't decide!

I'm not sure if I have the spare capacity, but it would be good to generate contacts and I could cut this down as required.

It has fried my brain a bit, I enjoy training, which is one of the reasons I am never in the student & learning section as I would spend too much time on researching and answering posts there.

I can't do this on here as I have to run my business.

Well, suggestions & comments please?.......

Any thoughts?....
Its a good offer Sidewinder, especially if you can fit in your own business to a degree, though im sure your aware that teaching takes up a lot more time than people realize.

As long as the money has no detrimental effect on finances then i would let your heart decide as to which route you decide to take.

There are many factors to consider, health, age, etc. We all know that when self employed the good times can go just as quick as they arrived. A good steady income, and something which you enjoy needs careful consideration.

Good trainers are always sought after, and theres nothing stopping you from opening your own training center in the future.

Your in a good position, which ever route you decide, im sure you will make it work:)

Let me put these two facts to you Sidey.

Fact one:

Students need to learn off of someone who has been there, done it and can pass theirs skills and knowledge onto them.

Fact two:

Students do not want to be bamboozled by someone who knows too much. :(

I have always said that there should be two types of electrical courses.

One for Commercial and Industrial and the other for Domestic. C&G and colleges will make more money too.

:)

Mr SW , These are turbulant times , if you have a good customer base with no shortage of work , I think one might be foolish to accept the offer as you will never make as much teaching as you can doing .

But if you are looking for a slower pace of life , money is not such an issue and this would give you enough to survive then it is a viable option , but.

Teaching is not brilliant especially if you are teaching the youngsters , but can be very rewarding.

Another option could you reduce work load to allow you to do both temperary of course or maybe take on someone to do your day to day work when you are ther wise occupied.

I for one think you would make an excellant tutor and no matter what you do will be the best choice for you .

Good luck with what ever path you decide to take.

Andy
I'll second that. I have had some really helpful advice from you and I am sure whichever path you chose, it will work out fine.

I'd love to be able to teach later on in life. It' sort of an ambition. However as already mentioned, the money isn' great, also I don't think I could teach the annoying 16-17 year olds who do not want to learn a thing and are only there because they were forced to do the course by their parents! Similar to half the class during my apprenticeship!

Having said that. I would give it a go. I don't think there is anything more rewarding than seeing someone succeed that you have taught.

All the best with whichever path you choose Side.

GS

If you can fit it in around your existing customers then why not?

The other issue is how often do you work a full day? We may have a high hourly rate but never do a full days work at it. You can have me for less per hour for a full days work, if you see what I mean? Especially if you have someone to pass stuff down to.

How could this be a bad thing?

Thanks guys, we appreciate it, I have discussed this with the boss (my dear wife!) and she says go for it as long as it is not all the time, nor too cheap!

It is a private training provider, so not the college "kids".

It is only about 10 miles (ish) from home.

I have spoken with the other forum member and he is up for it too, and his Mrs says the same as mine!

I have emailed the boss there with some ideas, and I'm now awaiting his response.

It would not be every week, nor every day, it would be a capacity issue, or to fill in for holidays/sick too unless it really goes well!!!

I don'r have to be there every day, nor would I be the only trainer there would then be 3 of us.

Well, anyone who`s back-read the forum knows my thoughts on this; you lucky, lucky bar steward! I`ve been fishing to get into this side for a good few years; and, given your level of tech. knowledge, it cannot be a bad thing to have your foot in the door, so to speak.......

Well the call came today!

Even after I lost a big contract I have managed to keep busy.

I have picked up some other stuff and a new contract.

I had a call today can I deliver a course on Friday for the client in Bristol on behalf of a large Scam provider!!!

No pressure then.

The course?

AMD1 updates!!!

FFS nothing like a baptism of fire!

Also got 2.5 days of a 2391 to deliver early next month.

I have a meeting in the morning to discuss the courses and other things.

Fingers crossed!