Tuya circuit breaker

Talk Electrician Forum

Help Support Talk Electrician Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

antek

Reaction score
Hello,

I bought this circuit breaker, my plan is to install it on a vending machine. I am going to cut the power cable of the machine, and add it in between. I have clear how the N and L work. However, I am unclear how to earth it. I have a few questions:
  1. Once I cut the power cable of the vending machine, I am left out with the earth (yellow/green) cable, one side coming from the machine, other side going to the outlet. What to do with those? Should I connect them together (outside of the circuit breaker) so that I restore the earth line?
  2. In the circuit breaker package, there is this other little cable with attached a "black circle thing" (see photo). Is that supposed to be some "earth"? and how does it work? should this be in contact with the metal frame of the vending machine? should I wire it together with the 2 pieces of yellow cables that I have left hanging out of the cable (to kind of send any shock back to the earth line? (no idea).
  3. There's also a little tape all around this "black circle thing", I guess it's for protection and should be removed? This whole thing is a bit weird to me, wanted please confirmation.
The instructions of the product do not mention anything....
Thank you!!!

Moved from electricians talk.

Attachments

• 20240203_185758.jpg
    20240203_185758.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20240203_185807.jpg
    20240203_185807.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure what that device is, but it looks like a wifi remote control switch and current monitor rather than a normal circuit breaker. The "Round bit" is a current transformer which the supply cable live would pass through the middle of.
Whatever, it isn't to be mounted alone, but in an enclosure which would also secure the cables.
May I suggest you tell us what you are trying to achieve?

Whatever you do, the earths MUST be joined together.

It is not a circuit breaker as normally described but some form of remote switch. The obvious thing is to read the (expletive deleted) manual as the old saying goes. The manual should tell you what you are supposed to do with the current transformer.

And it needs to go in an enclosure.

Why cut the power cable? why not just connect this device in to the supply outlet.. as it needs to be secured to something and not just flapping around off a flexible cord?

Why cut the power cable? why not just connect this device in to the supply outlet.. as it needs to be secured to something and not just flapping around off a flexible cord?
I had room inside the vending machine, so I could possibly connect it inside the cabinet before the cable came outside. Couldn't mess with the supply outlet, as it's technically property of the mall where the machine is sitting.

Whatever you do, the earths MUST be joined together.

It is not a circuit breaker as normally described but some form of remote switch. The obvious thing is to read the (expletive deleted) manual as the old saying goes. The manual should tell you what you are supposed to do with the current transformer.

And it needs to go in an enclosure.
You're correct, and I explained it wrongly at the beginning. It's a wifi remote switch, like you said. Basically to cut the electricity (turn machine on/off from remotely, if the switch is connected to a wifi. The "manual" explained the L and N connection, and how to connect the wifi. That's it. No mention what to do with the earth, nor what the black circle thingy is for. By the way, I was told that maybe it's the "antenna" for the wifi. What I can say is that with that thing connected or not, the switch still works normally, no I still have no real idea what that part was meant for.

I'm not sure what that device is, but it looks like a wifi remote control switch and current monitor rather than a normal circuit breaker. The "Round bit" is a current transformer which the supply cable live would pass through the middle of.
Whatever, it isn't to be mounted alone, but in an enclosure which would also secure the cables.
May I suggest you tell us what you are trying to achieve?
"a wifi remote control switch and current monitor" you're correct. I wanted to install it on a vending machine to turn it on/off remotely. Had no clue what to do with the earths, when cutting the power cable and installing it there. as the earths won't go through the switch, but are present in the power cable, and I wanted to make sure the machine is still well grounded. The "Round bit", still no idea, I was told it's the antenna for the wi-fi. It's a hard plastic circle. And the switch still works when it's not connected.

Anyway, I resolved the issue. I called the electrician that works at the mall. He connected the wifi switch next to the machine on/off switch. It turns on that only L and N were going into it, so adding the wifi switch with only L and N didn't change the scenario. The earth must be going through somewhere else in the machine then, and we didn't touch it. My concern was more when adding the switch to the cable, as in the cable I was going to interrupt the earth, but this way it seems kind of resolved.

I do have an insurance, why, you don't think he did it correctly?

at a guess, cheap tat, modified an appliance beyond manufacturers specifications, mall electrician and vending mechine would imply its being used in a public / workspace etc... i wouldnt want to be in either of your postitions when it fails and burns the place down

"The earth must be going through somewhere else in the machine then, and we didn't touch it."
"Must be connected" is not good enough.
For safety reasons the electrician must verify that the machine is earthed.

You may find the mains cable is connected to a terminal block with L, N, and E terminals.
The mains cable E from the plug or wall connection must remain connected.

Hey, come on.. He is trying to do the best thing or he would not be on here asking. It might be a class 2 appliance for all we know.

I do think that it wants more looking into. Perhaps if Antek was to tell us exactly what sort of vending machine it is, make and model..

john..

Status
Not open for further replies.